Brainstorm I & S - Mouse settings
Yeah I guess if your laptop did have the option of using the right side of the pad for scrolling, enabling it could make playing on the touchpad that much worse.
It does. I find these sort of touchpad "features" actually make the touchpad worse. The tap to click feature is what I find one of the most annoying, I'm forever having that "feature" misreading mouse movements as mouse clicks and mouse clicks as mouse movement. I say have a touch pad that does only one thing, moves the mouse pointer around and handle all other features with a real mouse wheel and the left and right mouse buttons near but separate from the touchpad. Earlier touchpads did this and worked 1 million times better the the modern ones. IMO this is a case of trying to pack too many features into one thing and end up with it not doing any of them well.

Rasmus Wrote:Isn't it very hard to play games on a touch pad on laptops in general?
Yes, especially on modern touch pads, for the reasons I mentioned above. It was much easier to play games using a touchpad about 8-10 years ago, back when the touchpads were simpler and just did what they were made to do as well as such devices could. In fact, on my newest computer the touchpad messes things up even when I'm not using it because if a thumb or other part of my hand accidentally brushes up against it it reads mouse movements and clicks while I'm in the middle of typing or whatever and I can get my computer going crazy on me out of nowhere. Id I didn't need to use that crappy thing when I'm using the computer while on the bus I'd just disable it and leave it disabled. If the manufacturer would provide a proper control panel for that touchpad I'd just disable all the crappy extras and have the thing just handle mouse movements and nothing else. The 2 buttons can handle the mouse clicks just fine, well sort of, the active surface of the touchpad extends over the buttons so pushing them can also cause the pointer to start moving and cause me to miss my intended target. WHat the hell moron came up with the idea to have the touchpad extend over the buttons so pushing a button sends the pointer flying across the screen and off of what you were trying to click?
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(19-02-2014, 08:52 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: I'm not using it because if a thumb or other part of my hand accidentally brushes up against it it reads mouse movements and clicks while I'm in the middle of typing or whatever and I can get my computer going crazy on me out of nowhere.

That used to happen to me all the time when I first started using laptops. At first I thought there was some kind of virus on my computer taking over the mouse until I finally realized that the palm of one hand was just ever so slightly touching the touchpad. Ever since then I turn off my touchpad and hook up a mouse even if I have to use the mouse on the top of my leg for lack of space. When my right hand became paralyzed last year I had to switch to a touchpad and start using it with my left hand. About the only game that I could play with it was Civilization 4 and 5. Thankfully 8 months later my hand started to come back to life and 3 months after that I had full recovery in my hand.
Sorry to hear you had problems with your hand. At least you got use of it back. Smile
The Golden One!
(11-05-2014, 05:56 PM)City Builder Wrote:
(19-02-2014, 08:52 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: I'm not using it because if a thumb or other part of my hand accidentally brushes up against it it reads mouse movements and clicks while I'm in the middle of typing or whatever and I can get my computer going crazy on me out of nowhere.

That used to happen to me all the time when I first started using laptops. At first I thought there was some kind of virus on my computer taking over the mouse until I finally realized that the palm of one hand was just ever so slightly touching the touchpad. Ever since then I turn off my touchpad and hook up a mouse even if I have to use the mouse on the top of my leg for lack of space. When my right hand became paralyzed last year I had to switch to a touchpad and start using it with my left hand. About the only game that I could play with it was Civilization 4 and 5. Thankfully 8 months later my hand started to come back to life and 3 months after that I had full recovery in my hand.

Wow, that sounds like a real horror story. I am really glad you got your hand back in the end.
Thanks guys. Yeah it was a true nightmare the first several weeks before I could get in to see a doctor to find out what had happened, and then when I saw the surgeon who said there was no improvement so she suggested moving nerves, tendons, muscles etc from the bottom side of my wrist and arm to the top side of my wrist and arm so that I could gain back some use of the hand. That scared the hell out of me. Meanwhile I had learned to adapt to not being able to use that hand anymore, trained my computer to use a voice recognition program to help me continue to use the computer and then one morning I woke up an noticed that I could raise my wrist 1/8th or less of an inch and each week I could raise it a little more. Finally the fingers started to come back to life and I could start to raise them ever so slightly. Yup, it was a bit scary at first thinking I'd never be able to use my right hand again, but here I am today and typing at 96 wpm again.
Hey, wow that must be really traumatic experience, good it is all better now. Smile

Also, Hmm interesting concept - what if in the future we could use voice to built our dungeon or if computer could sense what do we think we want now to do (it's not sci-fi that such kind of technology doesn't exist, it does). Now more worry that if you have hands disabled (that really must be hard to deal with it like you said City Builder...)
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Definitely not futuristic at this point although basic stuff can be done in games with voice. I only dabbled with Civilization 5 and using the voice recognition software coupled with another software package to give basic voice commands which would then be translated by the voice recognition software into macros that I had set up and then executed by the voice software.

However, I hope that I live long enough to see games being controlled fully by voice and to where it's reliable. I think it would be a gas although after controlling my computer with my voice for those long months I have to admit that having a way that the computer / game could take commands from just what I'm thinking instead of verbalizing would be preferable. After hearing my own voice for so many months I thought I'd never want to hear my own voice ever again. lol
(12-02-2014, 02:53 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Yeah, like having the "Ctrl key" instead of pressing down the mouse wheel.

YES. All my yes. Because much like there are people who don't believe some people still have a 56K modem, there are still some people in the world who don't have a mouse wheel. It's very debilitating or something. Imagine having to plug in a basic mouse into a USB slot for the sole purpose of reaching over and using its mouse wheel.

Having every single key be rebindable is such a wonderful thing. I play too many games that don't have something like the RCtrl key rebindable. That's just crazy.
"Go, go, Potato!" ~Mello Tonin
I think the reason many devs don't make the ctrl key rebindable is because they usually have shortcuts like "Ctrl+1" on it. If the ctrl key were bindable it can cause problems. Also, windows reserves a lot of alt+ ctrl+ combinations that could be overridden by the game if the player were able to bind it to something else.

I can not say that this is the case to 100%, but it is a issue I have been facing. Even if what I am saying is true, I know it is solvable, it is just a little more tricky, that is all.
Hey, ST! I'ts been a while. Don't tell me you have to deal with using a 56k modem to ya?
(13-05-2014, 05:48 AM)Rasmus Wrote: I think the reason many devs don't make the ctrl key rebindable is because they usually have shortcuts like "Ctrl+1" on it. If the ctrl key were bindable it can cause problems. Also, windows reserves a lot of alt+ ctrl+ combinations that could be overridden by the game if the player were able to bind it to something else.

I can not say that this is the case to 100%, but it is a issue I have been facing. Even if what I am saying is true, I know it is solvable, it is just a little more tricky, that is all.

I wonder, is it possible to disable all windows keys and apply only game alone? This way we could use many Ctrl + various keys combination as add the most usable like Ctrl + Alt + Delete. In Warcraft 3 you could group units by Ctrl + "1-9" and "0", rotate camera with Ctrl + "Arrow keys", or zoom in/out with Ctrl + "±", there was a special combination to minimize window or even pushing Ctrl + P don't sent message about printing, Dungeon Keeper 2 has many keys too. I personally found Ctrl + keys for panning camera very useful especially when I played on laptop without mouse. Tongue
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Yeah it is definitely possible, this is something I will try to fix Smile
(13-05-2014, 01:35 AM)ShadowTiger Wrote:
(12-02-2014, 02:53 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Yeah, like having the "Ctrl key" instead of pressing down the mouse wheel.

YES. All my yes. Because much like there are people who don't believe some people still have a 56K modem, there are still some people in the world who don't have a mouse wheel. It's very debilitating or something. Imagine having to plug in a basic mouse into a USB slot for the sole purpose of reaching over and using its mouse wheel.

Having every single key be rebindable is such a wonderful thing. I play too many games that don't have something like the RCtrl key rebindable. That's just crazy.

First of all, welcome back ST! Cool It's been ages since I last saw you post here and you were one of the first members to sign up too.

As for rebinding keys like CTRL, that can be tricky as, like others have said, Windows uses that key for many OS functions, and some, like CTRL+ALT+DEL I wouldn't recommend overriding. If you ever get an issue where Dwelvers freezes or stops responding, you will need that key combo to get at the task manager and shut it down, otherwise you could be stuck, with a reboot being your only option.

So, I'd say certain OS key bindings should be left reserved for the OS such as the CTRL+ALT+DEL (to access OS functions like Task Manager) and PRT SC (useful for quick screenshots).
The Golden One!
Even if Windows ctrl keys were disabled on load, you could always hit the Windows key, or alt+tab/alt+F4 to get back to Windows to get to the Task Manager.