Poll: Should there be a useful a horse-like creature? Please explain no matter what your answer :D
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
4 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

My New Idea Creature Idea - Mole Rat (Pachyderm Workhorse)
Giant Mole Rat

Info
On first encounter with this creature it will be a nuisance! It could tunnel around the level causing walls to collapse and raiding your supplies of antroot. However you could find a nest/burrow or get the ugly Mole Rat really drunk with beer and have it do some faster mining with its huge digging teeth and be a pachyderm to carry lots of items out of an area such as a strip mine. It takes forever to have imps go back and forth gathering, so this would solve that problem to an extent.

It could be paired with a trainer imp of some kind who leads it around and feeds it. This leads me into orcs riding moles -- serving as pachyderms these moles could be ridden by orcs and other characters into battle on top of their hauling and mining capabilities. I think this could be a general workhorse that allows for speeding up many things.

Balancing: to keep things balanced, these giant moles would need to eat a lot so sustaining them would take a fair amount of resources to offset their usefulness some.

Appearance
[Image: mole-rat_629_600x450.jpg]
Pic.1. Naked Mole Rat Heterocephalus glaber

Stats
Highlight: The same as a horse or ox in midieval times
Acquired By: Neutral/Tamable
Cost: 10 Antroot + 3 Beer (to tame)
Attack Form: Melee, headbutt/charge.
Weapon: Head (or helm) and teeth
Armor: Like horse armor, could be made of any material.
Attack Power: Above low unless it has a spiked helm or an orc or other creature riding it.
Defense: Moderate unless armored or ridden by something.
Health Points: Below High, hard to kill due to size.
Attack Speed: Above low.
Movement Speed: High
Resistances: Phys 35%/ Magic 0%
Job: Work Horse (Mining, Riding, Hauling lots of items to the store room, and limited defense)
Entertainment: Drinking Beer, rolling in dirt, burrowing
Required Special Resource: Mole Burrow/Nest
Required Room: Molery/Stable

Potential Abilities:
(P1) Mole Rush - Charge, 2 or more enemies, straight line area of effect, 5 tiles, like a bull charging, sends enemies flying but doesn't do tons of damage
(P2) Bite - Bite, Single Enemy, 1 tile, Giant teeth biting, A bite an shake, tossing the enemy for some additional damage,

Additions? Suggestions? Opinions?
[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.

Since I haven't done so yet, welcome to the group man! This is a pretty cool idea. It follows suit to another creature proposed, the Rockworm. Adding the capabilities to being a mount, or Imp pet/ox makes this a bit more fun. I would have to say though, having too many of these on a map could cause some serious problems with keeping your walls/rooms in order. Also what happens to the resources they eat by burrowing? Maybe it would be better if they didn't engage in those activities, but just be useful in combat and work as you mentioned.

I think the taming should take a bit more than 10 Antroot + 3 Beer though. Maybe have that as 50 Antroot + 25 Beer or even double that as they are both really easy to stockpile. Or it could be on a timer: 9 mins for attack mode, 15 for worker mode since that mode would require more behavioral training. During that time you would need to keep them fed with 10 Antroot + 3 Beers every 3 minutes or they could turn hostile and start wrecking things to get outside your walls like digging through a wall to get out. You would then need to recapture. If there were a beastiary, you could have troughs to keep them supplied with food so there isn't such a strain on resource to delivery times.
Taming animals is a cool idea, one thing that came to mind when reading this is that its size could be determined by how much the player is feeding it Smile
(17-02-2014, 10:05 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: I think the taming should take a bit more than 10 Antroot + 3 Beer though. Maybe have that as 50 Antroot + 25 Beer or even double that as they are both really easy to stockpile. Or it could be on a timer: 9 mins for attack mode, 15 for worker mode since that mode would require more behavioral training. During that time you would need to keep them fed with 10 Antroot + 3 Beers every 3 minutes or they could turn hostile and start wrecking things to get outside your walls like digging through a wall to get out. You would then need to recapture. If there were a beastiary, you could have troughs to keep them supplied with food so there isn't such a strain on resource to delivery times.

I think you are right about the resource levels. What if they consumed very frequently instead of a high upstart cost? Just like a horse, its not the horse that is expensive, it is the horse care and feed. They should really burn through antroot and beer.

I agree about the burrowing part though. It would mess things up too much, plus resources could be wasted.
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.

(17-02-2014, 10:24 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Taming animals is a cool idea, one thing that came to mind when reading this is that its size could be determined by how much the player is feeding it Smile

Thanks, I really dig the feeding determining size idea. You could actively feed it or use a command in the menu of the bestiary to feed all the creatures as a task. You would have to be careful so it could still fit through doors XD

(17-02-2014, 11:56 PM)TacticBlack Wrote: What if they consumed very frequently instead of a high upstart cost? Just like a horse, its not the horse that is expensive, it is the horse care and feed. They should really burn through antroot and beer.

Absolutely! Rodents are notorious for consuming things, and it is always a good idea when having creatures like this that they mimic the behaviors of the creatures they are modeled after. Keep those ideas coming!

On a side note, I'm hoping more people respond to this poll. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.
Oh also, thanks for the welcome!

I'm definitely in favor of this idea. I'm also thinking that these creatures could be used along with captured humans to create another creature I suggested earlier, the Ratman. This could be done in a lab and after done, would unlock the Ratman as an acquirable creature type through the DM. You would have to lose the Giant Mole Rat as part of the experiments though.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(18-02-2014, 04:21 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: I'm definitely in favor of this idea. I'm also thinking that these creatures could be used along with captured humans to create another creature I suggested earlier, the Ratman. This could be done in a lab and after done, would unlock the Ratman as an acquirable creature type through the DM. You would have to lose the Giant Mole Rat as part of the experiments though.

Add this idea to your Ratman post before you forget!

What vehicle or means would we use to cause this gene splicing. Mad scientist imps? or a dark mother ritual? or a Dark Mother munch fest? Maybe a cauldron of combination?

a dark spell-caster would do this by magic of course.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Indeed. What would the price of such an event be though. I've created an idea thread for brainstorming this one: Game Mechanics - Creature "Genetic" Combination. I think it is a path worth pursuing, so we should definitely continue this there.