My New Idea I & S - Restart/Replay Map Menu Option
Restart/Replay Map Menu Option

Info
Keep in memory or in a temp file the initial state of a new map whenever a new map is generated, and write it to the save game file along with "current" save game information. Allow the player to replay a map from its initial state through a selection in the game menu using this saved information.

Appearance
An option in the game menu that says "Restart Level" or some other such verbiage.

Stats
Highlight: This can sort of be accomplished by the user now if they are smart enough to save the game immediately and copy that file out to a safe location. However, this procedure is not very user friendly.

Function: This is a usability improvement, since the essential mechanic can be simulated by a sufficiently motivated user.
This would be a pretty easy thing to implement, and I think it would be a nice feature to have.
I agree. This would really help out, especially when testing and trying to reproduce a bug if you could reuse the same map the bug occurred on originally.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Shouldn't be that hard. Actually, the whole level is generated out of one 32 bit random number Wink
So for saving the map starting state is 4 bytes. Hmmm, don't know if I want to waste that much memory Tongue

Hmm what about this. The player gain access to that number while playing the level, and when generating a new level he is given the option to put in the number that generates the level by himself instead. By doing this the player can share levels with others by just giving out the number.
That would be a great testing option, especially when someone's encountering a bug on a particular map, or reproducing it is easier on a particular map to get as many reproductions of it as possible with as many log and save files as possible. Would it also be possible to enable the debugger to do a stack trace and variable dump manually, if a bug is occurring but is not crashing the game? That way we could have more data to send you so you would have a better chance of finding and fixing bugs even if they're difficult to reproduce, like that stuck imp bug I had a while back.
The Golden One!
(19-02-2014, 09:34 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Shouldn't be that hard. Actually, the whole level is generated out of one 32 bit random number Wink
So for saving the map starting state is 4 bytes. Hmmm, don't know if I want to waste that much memory Tongue

Hmm what about this. The player gain access to that number while playing the level, and when generating a new level he is given the option to put in the number that generates the level by himself instead. By doing this the player can share levels with others by just giving out the number.

:-).

My hope was that you could just save the seed. I carefully crafted my language to accept both possibilities. ;-).

Edit: you could add the option to show and input a new level seed in the dev options, since it is a more technical operation for advanced users.
Good idea damiant! A seed level would be a good solution. As far as I know most games use this system.
(19-02-2014, 03:29 PM)damiant Wrote: :-).

My hope was that you could just save the seed. I carefully crafted my language to accept both possibilities. ;-).

Edit: you could add the option to show and input a new level seed in the dev options, since it is a more technical operation for advanced users.

You raise some good points there. The less technical users may prefer to have the game handle saving and retrieving level seeds automatically, which the option for the more technical user to manually input them would also be good, especially for testing purposes.
The Golden One!
I agree with all, either would work, a save seed would be slightly more convenient. It could just be saved to a folder called Map Seeds. Separate saved games would be awesome too while we are on the topic of saving stuff.
[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.

Definitely having the ability to have multiple saves would be wonderful, more wonderful then these saves:

The Golden One!
I love you SU. Hell yeah hockey saves. Some of the most acutely trained athletes are hockey goalies.
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.

Yup. That save was extra special to me, because it set up a sequence of events that led to me watching Game 6 of the Stanly Cup finals and the Canucks kick some serious Ranger butt to force a game 7. Unfortunately the Canucks lost game 7 and missed wining the Stanly Cup by a goalpost. Sad

Later that year, the BC Lions were fighting for a Grey Cup appearance against the Calgary Stampeders and were down 36-31 with time running out and the Stampeders' deadly accurate kicker going for the clinching field goal. I had a ticket to that year's Grey Cup game in Vancouver and I'm a huge Lions fan so I was seeing my hopes of watching my hometown team play in the Grey Cup game fade away fast. Here's what transpired:

Which led to this field goal 1 week later:

HELL YA! How's that for a save those were! Big Grin

Now, all we need is the ability to make saves like those in Dwelvers. Tongue
The Golden One!
Indeed. There will be epic.