Feedback/Modification Mix - v0.6c Visual Feedback.
Disclaimer: i'm not complaining. just speaking my mind.

the last time i saw Dwelvers(v0.5c i think it was? not sure), Dwelvers looked a bit different to how it does now.

Dwelvers seems to have a little bit of a more... cartoony look now. i think i'm seeing Black edge additions (black lines on edges), as well as a slightly... brighter? more color intense? visuals overall. more Color Saturation.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. the game still looks great, but maybe perhaps i preferred the way it looked before.

and as always, i'm really liking the progress Dwelvers is making. Multi-level being finally in as well as some neat things like Minotaur mazes, the surface(which i assume Portals are connected to), and such definitely adds some nice variety to the game world.

oh, and on a side note, when i had pointed out that Roots were way too common and Wood was silly easy to get, i don't quite think i meant how it stands currently, haha. i haven't started clearcutting the maps and digging out very deeply, but just removing fog and looking around and trying to expand, i found being able to get enough Wood to establish the basics like food and beer so i could start building combat units, Et Cetera.
presuming that Portals are connected to the surface where there's lots of trees, i understand there being less Roots underground to encourage going to the surface. but i generated a few maps, and it didn't seem like enough to really get myself established before i started trying to let my starting units start fighting and clearing the map areas so i could access as much of the Resources as possible.
Steam - taiiat
I must admit that when I first saw the more cartooney look of v0.6 I had mixed opinions about it, but I've found the new style's grown on me, and I kind of like the direction of being more dark humor and less badass.

I agree with you that there isn't enough wood in the 0.6 versions. In fact, Mellow Tonin wrote an entire topic about that in the bugs section, Can't Get Wood (probably not the best choice of titles on his part -- too easy to take that the wrong way Tongue) [Image: lachen001.gif]

Of course, in V0.7, there will be sources of wood on the surface by logging trees, so that issue should improve somewhat. It does make sense that wood would be one of the hardest resources to get underground, but still, this is a game and a little artistic license does need to be taken from time to time in the name of game play over realism.

One idea would be to have some varieties of giant mushrooms who's stems are so thick and strong that they function like wood.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Well, I have some sort of mixed feeling about making it too cartoonish myself, what I am going for is a somewhat colourful world but not so that it is so colourful that it looks cartoonish. The reason I don't want to make it look realistic looking is because that is a failed cause. Being able to make something look realistic is very hard, people have expectations on how it should look in real life and it requires a lot of skill to be able to meet those expectations. Therefore we have gone for a more simple and smoother look, when it comes to that the world is too colourful it is all about the light in the dungeon, I am still working on it and hopefully before we reach beta we have found a balance that suits everyone Smile

And we will fix the wood issue Wink
Quote:And we will fix the wood issue

and what does Dr. Rasmus recommend to Mellow Tonin to fix his "wood issue"? Wink Tongue
The Golden One!
(07-03-2014, 12:07 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Therefore we have gone for a more simple and smoother look, when it comes to that the world is too colourful it is all about the light in the dungeon, I am still working on it and hopefully before we reach beta we have found a balance that suits everyone Smile
it doesn't look bad, but hm. idk, when i look at the game, and i see i'm playing a Dungeon Lord sort of game, i do think grimdark, and not quite bright and cheery with lots of Color Saturation.

perhaps that's my disconcertion looking at Dwelvers now. it seems a bit too bright and cheery in my Dungeon, despite me being an evil lord building an underground evil empire to do my evil deeds.

and i had no complaints about the visual detail before, who did? :p

(07-03-2014, 12:28 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: and what does Dr. Rasmus recommend to Mellow Tonin to fix his "wood issue"? Wink Tongue
we'll ask the nearby townsfolk to deliver some lumber to us so that we may conquer them better.

(also, every time i see your avatar, this is all i can think of).
Steam - taiiat
(07-03-2014, 11:43 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: ...Mellow Tonin wrote an entire topic about that in the bugs section, Can't Get Wood (probably not the best choice of titles on his part...

You know that title was totally intentional...Brother Raptor. I love double entendres and innuendos. Any time I can bring in some humor to the forums I'm gonna do it. Believe me, I'm reminded every morning how different me and 'Smiling Bob' are. LOL!

As far as wood from roots, I found that after I turned off bread production once I had a steady flow of fish, I was able to amass quite a bit of wood really easily. One thing I generally do when I start is dig out a 7x10 area all the way to the base of the map on whichever side of the Dark Mother you visibly see roots. chances are there are quite a bit of roots in the excavation, and then the next step is try and find a fishing spot as soon as possible to stop bread production.
Mellow Tonin Wrote:Believe me, I'm reminded every morning how different me and 'Smiling Bob' are. LOL!

[Image: male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emotic...medium.gif] Big Grin Tongue

Quote:As far as wood from roots, I found that after I turned off bread production once I had a steady flow of fish, I was able to amass quite a bit of wood really easily. One thing I generally do when I start is dig out a 7x10 area all the way to the base of the map on whichever side of the Dark Mother you visibly see roots. chances are there are quite a bit of roots in the excavation, and then the next step is try and find a fishing spot as soon as possible to stop bread production.
That's a pretty good bit of advice. I'll try it in my next game.

Another idea would be to add some sort of giant mushroom with a hard stem that functions like wood, which could be available near underground lakes and also could be cultivated in a farm room. These mushrooms could have a very small chance to randomly grow a new one in an adjacent tile, so if you manage them properly wood then becomes a renewable resource.
The Golden One!
(08-03-2014, 09:30 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Another idea would be to add some sort of giant mushroom with a hard stem that functions like wood, which could be available near underground lakes and also could be cultivated in a farm room. These mushrooms could have a very small chance to randomly grow a new one in an adjacent tile, so if you manage them properly wood then becomes a renewable resource.
that sounds interesting. renewable is 'easy' of course, but also a good addition. a reliably source of Wood, however generally a slow one. you'd get more Wood on average digging out the map, but this is renewable, and reliable.
Steam - taiiat
Provided you manage it. If you kill off all of the mushrooms then no new ones would grow, so you have to balance between collecting more wood from them and letting them grow back, otherwise you cut of the supply of renewable wood. The same thing could be true of trees on the surface, they grow back slowly but they do grow back, as long as there are some trees still on the map. This could also be another potential source of tensions between the surface and underworlds, as overexpansion of the surface dwellers could cause deforestation on the surface, leading to your source of wood being cut off. This could force you to go to war with them to drive them out of your forestry zones and prevent them from destroying your best source of wood.
The Golden One!
For me i'm totaly in love with the art style it's realy like i've imagined it.
The look of the DM and piggman is so neat and the rest is great (but can be better).
The "cartonish" swuit very well with the "humoristic" side of the game.

Maybe it's because i like retro or cartoon style, thank to artistic section Smile
~ French Fan site Community, manager.
[Image: 195677userbarfactoriofofoxav.png]
~ Looking for Sandbox games ? look my Blog or youtube (Eng sub soon)
[Image: 176032userbarclubsandboxxavfofo.png]