Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Equiping creatures with body armours
Here are some examples of the result

The Imp

The Orc

The Impanzee

The process

I have always found it very tedious making armours to creatures, weapons are easier because all that is needed there is the hand location and the weapon will fit any creature, but with armours it is a lot harder. The reason is that a body armour for example will need to be remodelled for every creature because they all have different body proportions. So this is how I solved it, it may look as good as if I were to do the body armours one by one for the creatures but this can save us months of modelling time.

So here we go, I have made a body armour template for the Imp, the Orc and the Impanzee that looks like this:

[Image: ImpArmourTemplate.png]

[Image: OrcArmourTemplate.png]

[Image: ImpanzeeArmourTemplate.png]

All these "armours" uses the same texture, and all that is needed to be done to create new armours for all the creatures is to make new armour textures. It is simple and I think it is something anyone can do without any advanced knowledge in 3D modelling.

Here is the template texture that can be over-painted with the armour texture:

[Image: BodyArmourTemplate.png]

The downside with this is that all the armours will have the same shape on the creatures. Some modifications can be done with this as having some parts of the armours totally transparent and give the short arms or ripped up collars and so on. But this is just the beginning, to give the armours more variation and at the same time keep it simple I am going to do as I did with the "item handler" seen here. My idea is that the when I want to add thing onto the armour like shoulder-pads that should stick out I can enter the texture coordinates on the texture and by this saying where I want to place the shoulder-pads.

So if I have a 3D model of some some sholder pads, then all that I need to do is enter the texture coordinates like (45,111) marked below on the texture:

[Image: BodyArmourTemplateCoordinates.png]

And point them in a direction, like 180 degrees (left) and I should be able to create something like this:

[Image: ImpSholderPads.png]

And this should work on all creatures as long as their template texture have the same texture coordinates location for their shoulders.

If I am to get technical this would work like this: If the game knows the texture coordinate, then the game can pick out the position on what vertices it is that holds this texture coordinate and with this get its 3D position. And what bones the shoulder-pad should be connected to is just to use the same bone as the vertices the game used to get the 3D position.

I will probably only make the body armour until the next update, if everything works as it should I will move on to helmets, pants, shoes, gloves and much more.
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 07:51 PM by Sebt.)
10-03-2014 11:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE: Equiping creatures with body armours
I like simple. I picked up a copy of 3DS Max because I would like to learn how modeling works which I know won't be simple, but putting together a texture on the template you designed will be cake to anyone with some basic computer graphics skills. Now to find some time for all this...
11-03-2014 03:24 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

I even think this is standard model of making any the same equipment for different creatures in other games. Equipment is just scalled and that's all. In real life however you can't wear too big armor, but for you would have auto-resizing armor everyone could wear that. Well, Dwelvers as it's players want will be in part a fantasy game, anyway this is very good solution that will save hellll much amount of precious time that you could spend on killing innocents instead of playing with fitting armor to your nasty beast.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 04:59 PM by Sebt.)
11-03-2014 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Working on this right now, hopefully I can get a image up today together with the upcoming newsletter how it will look in action and not just with the template textures Smile
12-03-2014 06:08 AM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

This is a great idea! It should make adding armor and clothing type equipments much easier to add to the game, and also open armor and cloths up for the modding community which will have a field day with the direction you're taking Dwelvers in now. Smile

Needless to say, this calls for another +1 to the Ras man.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 03:37 AM by Seriously Unserious.)
14-03-2014 03:37 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

I have some really cool screenshots coming up with equip-able creature armours, this got a lot better than I thought. But it will have to wait for upcoming the newsletter Smile
18-03-2014 09:17 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

Common, Ras! Don't tease us by saying you're gonna say something and then not saying it!AngryTongueTongue

I'm just saying... Wink
The Golden One!
18-03-2014 10:34 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

You WIIIIILLL know everything SSSSOOOOONNNNN. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
19-03-2014 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Ninja Dinosaur

so you're saying...

I'm just saying... Tongue
The Golden One!
20-03-2014 01:20 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Sorry, just wanted all of you to know that I am actually working on the game despite my lack of updates. It has been some major changes that unfortunately have taken a lot out of my time doing things that don't really can be shown visually Confused
20-03-2014 04:55 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

It's all good, SU hasn't been getting his normal dose of Lysine so he's a bit testy.[Image: tongue.gif]
20-03-2014 03:50 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

(20-03-2014 03:50 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  It's all good, SU hasn't been getting his normal dose of Lysine so he's a bit testy.[Image: tongue.gif]

That's right, so you better watch out. Confused

I'm just saying... Tongue
The Golden One!
21-03-2014 12:57 AM
sunderer92 Offline
Dungeon Lord

I don't know if we already do, or what, but I was wondering if we could have access to the model viewer (in case we wanted to make our own armour, etc.
21-03-2014 05:19 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

I'm guessing all that's planned for the next release? Still, it would be nice, I'd love to see what armor ideas you have.
The Golden One!
21-03-2014 09:59 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(21-03-2014 05:19 AM)sunderer92 Wrote:  I don't know if we already do, or what, but I was wondering if we could have access to the model viewer (in case we wanted to make our own armour, etc.

Actually, most of objects in the game is in 3ds format. The ".skin" models used for skinning the creature models on the bone structure (used for animation) can only be exported, not imported, (unless someone makes a tool for it). All items and armours will be in 3ds format, so as long as you have a standard 3D program (preferably 3dsmax) it will be no problem to load and edit them.

(21-03-2014 09:59 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  I'm guessing all that's planned for the next release? Still, it would be nice, I'd love to see what armor ideas you have.

I will post a newsletter and show of some of the armours already made for the creatures later today Smile
22-03-2014 07:51 AM