Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2014.03.22 - Dwelvers has been accepted to Steam
Vinces Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: Dwelvers has been accepted to Steam
Congrats to Rasmus and the Dwelvers team!
This game is looking great and should be able to make some waves on Steam.

I have no doubt you already know this, but most Steam users are "pure blood sales hunters": There are just way too many games on Steam these days, so a lot of people just browse the sales section and nothing else. My (of course 100% personal) advice would be to make your game a bit more expensive, but do regular sales, f.e. it seems better to have your starting price at 12€ and give 15% off, then to start at 10€.
I was completely baffled when I saw the Steam release of Panzer Corps, how a semi-big company like Slitherine/Matrix could screw up their first Steam release so immensely, just by ignoring the specifics of the platform (no visual sale % on the game, all dlc's released together on the first day, not enough information to the casual Steam user,...). At least they seem to have learned their lesson, because the release of Battle Academy seems to become quite the opposite of the PzC release.
I would prefer it if you guys actually were able to make decent money out of your Steam release Smile

The armour-stuff is looking very promising btw, can't wait to see where this game will be heading in the end!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!
01-04-2014 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

Vinces makes some good points.
01-04-2014 04:20 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

There are many economic and external factors which game price depends on and there is need to make it optimal, so and that would fit what you Vinces said, hope price will be as close to optimum as possible. There is need to think deeply about price model, especially that old one is just "boring". Big Grin
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 11:02 PM by Sebt.)
01-04-2014 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

(01-04-2014 01:48 PM)Vinces Wrote:  Congrats to Rasmus and the Dwelvers team!

Thanks Smile Hopefully everything will go smoothly Smile

(01-04-2014 01:48 PM)Vinces Wrote:  I have no doubt you already know this, but most Steam users are "pure blood sales hunters": There are just way too many games on Steam these days, so a lot of people just browse the sales section and nothing else. My (of course 100% personal) advice would be to make your game a bit more expensive, but do regular sales, f.e. it seems better to have your starting price at 12€ and give 15% off, then to start at 10€.
I was completely baffled when I saw the Steam release of Panzer Corps, how a semi-big company like Slitherine/Matrix could screw up their first Steam release so immensely, just by ignoring the specifics of the platform (no visual sale % on the game, all dlc's released together on the first day, not enough information to the casual Steam user,...). At least they seem to have learned their lesson, because the release of Battle Academy seems to become quite the opposite of the PzC release.
I would prefer it if you guys actually were able to make decent money out of your Steam release Smile

I know, having the game on sale will definitely make it sell better, we have some plans for how we will launch it and try to get as many sales as possible from start, but that is nothing I will go into before it is time Wink

The thing is that the amount of people that have pre-ordered Dwelvers so far isn't that many, it is manageable so too speak, but they have helped me getting through and my gratitude towards them is very high Smile My point is that even if I put the game on sale with Steam I will make sure that those that have pre-ordered Dwelvers will get the most financial benefit from it with extra steam keys and maybe hidden game material. I know I went a little of topic here, but I really don't like saying that wait for the steam release because then you will get it cheaper.

Personally I am not that experienced with Steam and how to get the most out of it, but I will get help from BurningPet when releasing it as he have much more experience about it than me, so I am feeling pretty confident that it will work out fine Smile
02-04-2014 10:17 AM
Psychor Offline
Imp

(02-04-2014 10:17 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 01:48 PM)Vinces Wrote:  Congrats to Rasmus and the Dwelvers team!

Thanks Smile Hopefully everything will go smoothly Smile

(01-04-2014 01:48 PM)Vinces Wrote:  I have no doubt you already know this, but most Steam users are "pure blood sales hunters": There are just way too many games on Steam these days, so a lot of people just browse the sales section and nothing else. My (of course 100% personal) advice would be to make your game a bit more expensive, but do regular sales, f.e. it seems better to have your starting price at 12€ and give 15% off, then to start at 10€.

I know, having the game on sale will definitely make it sell better, we have some plans for how we will launch it and try to get as many sales as possible from start, but that is nothing I will go into before it is time Wink

The thing is that the amount of people that have pre-ordered Dwelvers so far isn't that many, it is manageable so too speak, but they have helped me getting through and my gratitude towards them is very high Smile My point is that even if I put the game on sale with Steam I will make sure that those that have pre-ordered Dwelvers will get the most financial benefit from it with extra steam keys and maybe hidden game material. I know I went a little of topic here, but I really don't like saying that wait for the steam release because then you will get it cheaper.

Personally I am not that experienced with Steam and how to get the most out of it, but I will get help from BurningPet when releasing it as he have much more experience about it than me, so I am feeling pretty confident that it will work out fine Smile

Steam is going to help sell the game. I know that I'm more likely to buy something from Steam then not and the phenomenon is not unique to me. That being said I did back Dwelvers via your website. Tongue

Quote: I will make sure that those that have pre-ordered Dwelvers will get the most financial benefit from it with extra steam keys and maybe hidden game material.

I'm happy to read that.
12-05-2014 04:09 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Thanks for your support Psychor Smile And welcome to the forum Smile
13-05-2014 04:55 AM
City Builder Offline
Dungeon Lord

I am a bit concerned for your game when it goes onto Steam.

You've got a fun game to be sure but there is another, War for the Overworld. Obviously comparisons are going to be made and made quite severely Many people will call this a rip-off of both DK and WftO. While my own opinion is the more games that we can have in a genre the better, many Steamers don't feel that way apparently and will go out of their way to try to kill your game before you barely get out of the gate.

Many questions will be raised... Such as what makes your game different than either DK or WftO?

I'd have to wait and see what the version is like that you're planning on putting on Steam as the current version is defintely not ready for Steam release even early access (in my humblest of opinions you understand). There are many things that people are going to pick on with the game, not the least of which things such as better management, better UI, much better Tool tips that will all be needed. Obviously they can be added in at any point that Rasmus decides to add them in, if he has plans for it, but I'm just giving the friendly heads up here that the game would be roasted alive if it went to early access today regardless how hard you try to make people aware that it's alpha and is being worked on.

I'd highly suggest (if you haven't already) to look at what people are and have said in the Steam forums for the games "Towns" and "Godus", both games were and at least one is still be roasted alive by the Steamers.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 01:02 PM by City Builder.)
13-05-2014 01:01 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

(13-05-2014 01:01 PM)City Builder Wrote:  Many questions will be raised... Such as what makes your game different than either DK or WftO?

I'll answer this right now, it's exponentially more fun than WftO, but nothing can be compared to DK apples to apples. While WftO has some good points (and I want to state that I did pre-order this game as well because of the potential in it I saw near the beginning) I have not been able to sit at it hours on end to play like Dwelvers because I keep losing my interest in it. Yes they have added rooms and characters, but that seems to be the extent of their development. Hell, especially when they started to build on their initial content, the game frequently crashed to the point of annoyance. I really do want their game to be a great game as it could be, but it has a long way to go; a long, long way.
13-05-2014 03:52 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

Thanks for honest opinion City Builder, I always want to hear moaarr every aware or doubt or hard critic rather than something like "it's great at all", good opinion which tells us that were not making something wrong (yea, I'm a masochist). Wink

So! Let's write about Steam, why we're going to do release game already on current stage? Smile
We will release Dwelvers as Early Access game, so it's like donating us, but people have access to every new version or patch released until the final release will come (which this will also be provided, that's for sure, once you buy Dwelvers you get it on whatever stage will be released). Also pre-orderes like early access buyers will get some bonuses from us as huge thanks for supporting us when we needed money for being able to work on game full time and make game, solving bugs faster - and our money supplies are limited too, I don't want to end like Pokémon Generations (number 1 on IndieDB ranking for few months, constantly) or other staff just because my finances didn't let me work on game as I want.

Ben from our team and former Towns team said that it was not good idea to release Towns in it's stage, but that why Towns wasn't continued like people would want is that it was stated that game is finished, but Dwelvers is far away from being finished. I couldn't allow the same situation like happened to Towns, but you can believe me on my words only, but if you have any objections to mine or our team work say it to us personally and if nothing will happen to the public. We deserve for what we do.

About differences between WFTO and Dwelvers. Well, I started to follow WFTO since December 2011, before it was well known, I remember that they wanted to make a free of chsrge continuation DK series, even with the same creatures. Now they were pushed to change direction a little, but still WFTO still reminds me DK, which is great.WFTO and Dwelvers gives different aspects of entertainment, they're both strategy games, but are completely different in gameplay (except that the way of explore is to dig everything on your way).

Dwelvers aims are focused on:
- creatures character, their diversity, unique styles of live and behavior, even that why Orcs love axes will be said, etc.
- setting production chains that will allow you to conquer everyone and rise your governs to the highest level of being evil.
- setting traps, every nasty things that will slow, damage or just tire enemies so you could just poke them to pit them on the ground.
- modability, people's ideas, maybe we could allow people to earn from their work like it is done in with Team Fortress 2 or will be in new Unreal Tournament, anyway creating big creative platform is the aim too.

This is what we plan to do. I hate typical corporate model that says whatever you want someone will buy it if not you *coughtEAcought*
Maybe we won't reach the peak so high like Robert Space Industries: Star Citizens (40 millions before releasing the game), but with your help we can make Dwelvers something more than just next game or DK like game.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 05:18 PM by Sebt.)
13-05-2014 04:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

(13-05-2014 04:39 PM)Sebt Wrote:  ... (yea, I'm a masochist). Wink

Sorry, Sebt...when I read this all I could think of was your avatar doing like Mel Gibson on South Park. I can't stop laughing!

[Image: Melgibson.jpg]
13-05-2014 05:21 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(13-05-2014 01:01 PM)City Builder Wrote:  I am a bit concerned for your game when it goes onto Steam.

You've got a fun game to be sure but there is another, War for the Overworld. Obviously comparisons are going to be made and made quite severely Many people will call this a rip-off of both DK and WftO. While my own opinion is the more games that we can have in a genre the better, many Steamers don't feel that way apparently and will go out of their way to try to kill your game before you barely get out of the gate.

Many questions will be raised... Such as what makes your game different than either DK or WftO?

I'd have to wait and see what the version is like that you're planning on putting on Steam as the current version is defintely not ready for Steam release even early access (in my humblest of opinions you understand). There are many things that people are going to pick on with the game, not the least of which things such as better management, better UI, much better Tool tips that will all be needed. Obviously they can be added in at any point that Rasmus decides to add them in, if he has plans for it, but I'm just giving the friendly heads up here that the game would be roasted alive if it went to early access today regardless how hard you try to make people aware that it's alpha and is being worked on.

I'd highly suggest (if you haven't already) to look at what people are and have said in the Steam forums for the games "Towns" and "Godus", both games were and at least one is still be roasted alive by the Steamers.

As Sebt said, thank you for your honesty in this matter Smile

Dwelvers and WFTO is very different games, people may not see it at first because it is the same genre and games of this genre is very rare. I can honestly say that I have never heard someone say after they have played Dwelvers that it is the same as WFTO, that is why I don't think this will be a mayor issue. There will be some comments about it but for every update I have released the comments seems to have faded away more and more.. I will try to address this issue best I can by showing the differences between Dwelvers and DK, but I don't think it is that big of a problem to be honest.

I agree, the last released version is not ready for Steam, I can not say that the version I am going to release on Steam is 100% ready either. But when I release it on steam early access I will make clear what state the game is in before anyone buys it. The problem is that it is hard setting a line on when the game is ready for early access. The Steam team played Dwelvers and they thought it was ready (Dwelvers didn't go through the green light process), and Dwelvers do match the description of what a early access game is. It is not meant to be complete, I wouldn't be angry or disappointed in buying something on early access and find that features are missing, because that is what an alpha is, the most important thing is that the developers listens to the community and fix the bugs and the issues pointed out, and keep updating the game.

Yeah I have checked out the Towns forum on Steam, I would say that the biggest issue there is that no developer is there at all responding to anything, and of course the lack of updates, but that is a different story.

The bottom line is that I can't prepare for every possible situation that could arise, but I will do my best to solve the problems when they arise. And I do understand the importance of communication, I have tried to be as open as possible about anything that have been affecting Dwelvers, and this is something I will continue with in the future.

(13-05-2014 03:52 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 01:01 PM)City Builder Wrote:  Many questions will be raised... Such as what makes your game different than either DK or WftO?

I'll answer this right now, it's exponentially more fun than WftO, but nothing can be compared to DK apples to apples. While WftO has some good points (and I want to state that I did pre-order this game as well because of the potential in it I saw near the beginning) I have not been able to sit at it hours on end to play like Dwelvers because I keep losing my interest in it. Yes they have added rooms and characters, but that seems to be the extent of their development. Hell, especially when they started to build on their initial content, the game frequently crashed to the point of annoyance. I really do want their game to be a great game as it could be, but it has a long way to go; a long, long way.

Believe me when I say that I want WFTO to sell as good as possible, their sales are affecting Dwelvers sales as well. In the end I think we are helping each-other out, there are way too few games like DK out there and they don't cost that much that people are forced to choose between one or the other. One thing I want to point out is that I think there are more Minecraft fans out there that buys Dwelvers than DK fans.

(13-05-2014 04:39 PM)Sebt Wrote:  About differences between WFTO and Dwelvers. Well, I started to follow WFTO since December 2011, before it was well known, I remember that they wanted to make a free of chsrge continuation DK series, even with the same creatures. Now they were pushed to change direction a little, but still WFTO still reminds me DK, which is great.WFTO and Dwelvers gives different aspects of entertainment, they're both strategy games, but are completely different in gameplay (except that the way of explore is to dig everything on your way).

Dwelvers aims are focused on:
- creatures character, their diversity, unique styles of live and behavior, even that why Orcs love axes will be said, etc.
- setting production chains that will allow you to conquer everyone and rise your governs to the highest level of being evil.
- setting traps, every nasty things that will slow, damage or just tire enemies so you could just poke them to pit them on the ground.
- modability, people's ideas, maybe we could allow people to earn from their work like it is done in with Team Fortress 2 or will be in new Unreal Tournament, anyway creating big creative platform is the aim too.

This is good, we need to make a list showing the differences between DK and Dwelvers, and we could do it step by step and in detail like "Creature behaviour", "Traps", "Production chain" and so on. So that people know what it is that they are buying and what we are planning.
13-05-2014 06:33 PM
City Builder Offline
Dungeon Lord

(13-05-2014 04:39 PM)Sebt Wrote:  but with your help we can make Dwelvers something more than just next game or DK like game.

Okay, well you've now got my purchase (made a few minutes ago) and I'm sure that I'll chime in on others ideas as well as my own as well as any observations I see while playing around with the game.

Best of luck
13-05-2014 06:55 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

(13-05-2014 05:21 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 04:39 PM)Sebt Wrote:  ... (yea, I'm a masochist). Wink

Sorry, Sebt...when I read this all I could think of was your avatar doing like Mel Gibson on South Park. I can't stop laughing!

Lol. Big Grin

(13-05-2014 06:55 PM)City Builder Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 04:39 PM)Sebt Wrote:  but with your help we can make Dwelvers something more than just next game or DK like game.

Okay, well you've now got my purchase (made a few minutes ago) and I'm sure that I'll chime in on others ideas as well as my own as well as any observations I see while playing around with the game.

Best of luck

Thank you very much. Smile
There are plenty of ideas suggested in old Suggestions & Feedbacks forum (which I still don't know if merge with Discussion forum and make this more for.brainstorming ideas than just showing and give feedback) so if you have something that may be useful, interesting, helpful - like what you suggested about mouse settings - just write about that. Smile
13-05-2014 10:01 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(13-05-2014 06:55 PM)City Builder Wrote:  
Best of luck

Thank you for your support Smile
14-05-2014 02:58 AM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

I think suggestions and discussions should be kept separate, otherwise you're going to have a confusing mess and the same thing being suggested 100 times, or something not being suggested because the person who got the idea got intimidated by the confusing mess. I've seen it happen on other forums, which, needless to say, I don't often post on because of that confusing mess situation. You started out with ideas for keeping the forums organized and you're on the right track with what you're doing, don't go second guessing yourself now, Sebt. Wink
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
17-05-2014 02:04 AM