Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2014.03.22 - The Journey Continues!
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2014.03.22 - The Journey Continues!
Hi all

It has been a while (as usual), sorry for being bad at posting the newsletter more frequent. I have talked it over with Sebt, and I will try to get one Newsletter in there each Saturday even if I don't have any major updates to inform about. That is one reason I have been pushing up the updates as well, I tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist and I don't want to present anything that is half-done, or move on to anything else until it is finished.

The new features and changes have been piling up on me, there have been a lot of "under the hood" changes to Dwelvers that I had to take care of to be able to make the game more mod-able, unfortunately this means that I have done a lot of works that can't be presented visually.

Dwelvers has been accepted to Steam

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/steamlogo.png[/IMG]

Yes, we got the confirmation a while ago that Dwelvers can now be sold on Steam, and with this we will reach a whole different audience and hopefully this will lead to more public interest in the game.

As you all may have figured out Dwelvers will be sold on Steam Early Access, meaning that we will sell it as a alpha version and make it very clear to the buyer that it is not the full game we are selling. I would like to point out that I am not interested in upgrading the game to Beta version as the definition for Beta is:

"A development status given to a program or application that contains most of the major features, but is not yet complete."

And there is still a long way to go until I would say that the game have reached that point. I will try to not add to many new features in the future because I think it is better that we get a game that is fully functional with the basic intended features before we start adding new once. I will soon make a list of what features I have planned for the game before I will call it Beta.

I have also been dragging out on the latest release of the game because the next version will not be free to the public, and therefore I want to progress the game to such an extent that it will be a very noticeable different from the last version.

For those of you that have pre-ordered the game, you will be able to download it from the website as well as get a free steam key if you rather want to play it there.

With the next release there will also be a demo for people to try out before they decide to buy the game.

Equipping Creatures

This is something I have had planned for a long time, and with the modding possibility it have gotten a lot easier for me to add and remove equipment to creatures. The basic idea is that the one that "makes / design" lets say a leather armour should be able to make all the creatures equip it without having to making the same leather armour for all creatures. This is a common problem as all creatures have different bone-structure and form, and only making one leather armour model will not fit all creatures. But I have come up with a solution for this, it is the same solution as used in WoW, I paint the leather armour on the creature bodies and then I have models like shoulder-pads for example being attached to a predefined location for each creature shoulders. It may sound a little complicated or "ugly" but the result got a lot better than I expected, here is a preview of the orc switching between different armours:

And with this I would also like to add that we are aiming towards making a blacksmith in the game that can create these armours for the creatures on the players request.

Dwelvers Wiki

Curse have agreed to make a Dwelvers wiki, I really want to thank them for all their help and their engagement helping us out with this. It is a little thin atm, but with the release I will make sure to flesh it out Smile

Game Modding

The last month I have gotten some requests to make the game more mod-able. This was something I actually had planned to make later in the development as I knew that it were going to be time demanding for me without having that much to show for it, but with the acceptance to Steam I wanted to make the game as dynamic as possible before I released it, and anything I don't do now will only be harder to do in the future. This is the reason I have been working somewhat in the dark for the last month.

The goal is to make every object in the game externally loadable through xml files, which means that only the basic gamemechanics in the game will be hardcoded. So the result will be that any new object I add to the game anyone else can add as well as long as they understand the basic principle in how to do it. If the interest for this get high enough the player will be able to download and add new buildings, items, creatures, spells etc. into the game to give the game some extra variation.

This is what is completed and fully modable at the moment:
  • All items
  • All particle effects
  • All projectiles
  • All creatures
  • All equipments for creatures

I still have to make the buildings modable, but this will take some time for me because some of them have taken a real deep root into the source-code. So my plan for this is to make the building modable after the steam release. But once the buildings are modable then anyone can actually add anything to the game.

And a BIG thanks

A big thanks to all of you that have supported me during the development, both financially and with ideas and feedback. I would not have come this far without the support from all of you.

But there is still a long way to go, the journey continues and will keep on going, this is a lot of fun Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 10:32 PM by Sebt.)
22-03-2014 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gbo Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: Newsletter - 22 March 2014 - The Journey Continues
What you are doing with this game is just amazing, you alone are making a game on par with games developped by entire teams (eg: War for the Overworld), and with even deeper content!

The creatures equipment and modding are just WONDERFUL: the first will make the game a bit more interesting with some kind of RPG problematics, and the latter will make the game so much extendable that my head get dizzy.

Amazing news, I can't wait for the new version to be released!
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 10:03 PM by gbo.)
22-03-2014 10:01 PM
Lumpygravy Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: Newsletter - 22 March 2014 - The Journey Continues
I love your game so far! I plan on pre-ordering on your website as soon as I get my paycheck next month! Especially now you promise a STEAM key!
22-03-2014 10:10 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: 2014.03.22 - The Journey Continues!
(22-03-2014 10:01 PM)gbo Wrote:  What you are doing with this game is just amazing, you alone are making a game on par with games developped by entire teams (eg: War for the Overworld), and with even deeper content!

Actually Rasmus is not alone in developing the game, but that all scripts are made by him and some graphics it's true. Wink

(22-03-2014 10:10 PM)Lumpygravy Wrote:  I love your game so far! I plan on pre-ordering on your website as soon as I get my paycheck next month! Especially now you promise a STEAM key!

Hi and welcome to the community. Smile
Don't worry, the key awaits you. Wink
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 11:05 PM by Sebt.)
22-03-2014 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

@Lumpygravy: Welcome to the forums! Smile

@Rasmus: Amazing work! Congratulations on getting Dwelvers onto Steam Early Release. With the modding potential you've added to the game it just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for the next version. Keep it up Ras. +1 and I'd give you more but I can only give rep in +1's.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
22-03-2014 10:57 PM
joshuageorpe Offline
Confused!

Congratulations Rasmus! It seems Dwelvers is improving and is getting better. As always I will be waiting for the next update and I hope Dwelvers will be more popular and classical to the gamer's taste.
23-03-2014 11:15 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

Indeed, grats man! I think I'm gonna avoid using Steam as long as I can since I really dislike all of those Steam-like services (call me old fashioned, but I prefer to have 100% ownership of my games instead of relying on some 3rd party to maintain a copy of my game which goes away the day they go out of business), but I understand why it ultimately has to go there and should go there. I can't wait to get my hands on the next release, and see this community grow exponentially as I'm sure we'll see once people can get it on Steam. I'm really glad to see this moving forward, and you're one step closer to realizing your dream Rasmus! I'm so glad for you, and glad to be a part in this.
23-03-2014 01:31 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(22-03-2014 10:01 PM)gbo Wrote:  What you are doing with this game is just amazing, you alone are making a game on par with games developped by entire teams (eg: War for the Overworld), and with even deeper content!

The creatures equipment and modding are just WONDERFUL: the first will make the game a bit more interesting with some kind of RPG problematics, and the latter will make the game so much extendable that my head get dizzy.

Amazing news, I can't wait for the new version to be released!

Thank gbo Smile Yeah I am aiming towards give the game a life on its own as well Big Grin

(22-03-2014 10:10 PM)Lumpygravy Wrote:  I love your game so far! I plan on pre-ordering on your website as soon as I get my paycheck next month! Especially now you promise a STEAM key!

Welcome to the forum Lumpygravy, and thanks for your kind words Smile Your support will help me with the development Smile

(23-03-2014 11:15 AM)joshuageorpe Wrote:  Congratulations Rasmus! It seems Dwelvers is improving and is getting better. As always I will be waiting for the next update and I hope Dwelvers will be more popular and classical to the gamer's taste.

I hope so too, the modding ability is there to make the game live longer as well as make it easier for me to add more game content.

(23-03-2014 01:31 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  Indeed, grats man! I think I'm gonna avoid using Steam as long as I can since I really dislike all of those Steam-like services (call me old fashioned, but I prefer to have 100% ownership of my games instead of relying on some 3rd party to maintain a copy of my game which goes away the day they go out of business), but I understand why it ultimately has to go there and should go there. I can't wait to get my hands on the next release, and see this community grow exponentially as I'm sure we'll see once people can get it on Steam. I'm really glad to see this moving forward, and you're one step closer to realizing your dream Rasmus! I'm so glad for you, and glad to be a part in this.

I understand you to 100%, I have also been avoiding Steam out of the same reason, but eventually I got forced into it Tongue It is good in its own way, but I prefer running the games directly from the desktop.

Yeah, I am overly excited about this, everything has gone in the right direction so far, slowly but steadily Tongue And this is only the beginning Smile
23-03-2014 02:15 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

(23-03-2014 02:15 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  I hope so too, the modding ability is there to make the game live longer as well as make it easier for me to add more game content.

One of the other unintended consequences of this could be similar to what happened to Arma and DayZ where DayZ was a heavily modded version of Arma, but has ultimately became a game unto itself. You may even be able to get some extra income from distributing your game engine in a scenario like this, or do something similar to what companies like Blizzard has done where they build multiple games off of a single game engine. This is really one of the most exciting features in your game.
23-03-2014 02:21 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Perhaps the game will not be that modable, but the more the better. I think I need to leave XML and go towards javascript or something else to get give the modders the ultimate freedom Smile
23-03-2014 08:31 PM
damiant Offline
Dungeon Lord

(22-03-2014 08:36 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  
Game Modding

The last month I have gotten some requests to make the game more mod-able.... This is the reason I have been working somewhat in the dark for the last month.

Smile

My fault!
23-03-2014 11:55 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Haha, not your fault, it is your contribution Wink
24-03-2014 02:18 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

(23-03-2014 11:55 PM)damiant Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 08:36 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  
Game Modding

The last month I have gotten some requests to make the game more mod-able.... This is the reason I have been working somewhat in the dark for the last month.

Smile

My fault!

If you want to take the blame there's always that warm, toasty Pit of the Damned just sitting there waiting for a fo**, eh-hem, valiant martyr, to fill it. [Image: devil-smiley-029.gif] So far the only one residing in there it Rasmus, it's creator. Tongue

Seriously though, I agree with Rasmus, it's not your fault, it's your contribution.Big Grin

Sorry Damiant, but I'm gonna have to give you a +1 for that contribution. Tongue there's nothing you can do to stop me. [Image: devil-smiley-029.gif]
The Golden One!
(This post was last modified: 24-03-2014 05:39 AM by Seriously Unserious.)
24-03-2014 05:37 AM
damiant Offline
Dungeon Lord

My *evil* contribution. Muahahaha. Ahem.

Can't wait to test it out. I'll make a bunch of test mods so I/we can regress test future versions with ease and consistency.
24-03-2014 11:06 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

That would be great.
The Golden One!
24-03-2014 11:56 PM