Brainstorm Creature Mechanic - Creature groups and rally flags
That's what I was aiming for. Also, there are many more reasons to hate MS Office 2k7 other than what you mentioned. Smile
(10-04-2014, 09:51 PM)Sebt Wrote: @SU - that really may depend on individual preferences of people how they remember something easier, however if you read about mnemotechnique (small reference - http://www.skillstoolbox.com/career-and-...-vs-words/ ) you'll get info that image is much efficient way to remember anything by human as for example our brain is able to abstract thinking.
Ask yourself is there something that you've remembered as picture and that this you remember better than text, in my case I still remember a product live cycle chain in images that covered words, that these actually the most I don't remember anymore... I learned that 2 years ago. What's more image is very often connected with something you'd experienced, learning by making mistakes is the most efficient and mind developing learning technique.

This is very true sebt, all our brains does from birth is absorbing images and finding patterns to associate these with previous experiences so that we can do the right decisions based on these experiences. Reading is something that is taught to us and don't come as naturally as just associating an image with an experience. I am not saying that it is hard to read, just saying that when the player have to do split second decisions he will have a lot easier navigating in a menu with icons rather than text.

Mello Tonin Wrote:[Image: GMnJ.png]

Mello, I really want to thank you for the time you put down on making those visual representations, they are really helpful and inspiring Smile

This one is really good! I like that it is so informative and still don't take that much room. But I agree with Sebt, the location for it can be a little bit distracting, I will probably make it a little bit smaller and put it in the bottom right corner just above the bar as I did with the creature-type icons.

Mello Tonin Wrote:[Image: GM54.png]

This one is also really good, but I am not 100% if I want the creature squad menu in the same way as I presented previously, I somehow feel like the whole layout can be a little clumsy. I will have to wait until I get to the point where I have all the variables in place and start working from there. The less screen area this menu have to occupy the better, the best thing would be if I could combine the squad menu with the creature menu somehow...

+3 to you Mello Wink
Thanks, I've had a bit more free time than I was getting with work taking up so much of that. I think it makes things a lot easier to comprehend when you have a picture to look at.
I'm, on the contrary working better with images, far better remember what was showed to me or I saw then to read texts, well I'm from generation that loves to watch then read (shame on me, but I don't like read books with many texts and without pictures, however some books I really enjoyed), but earlier I do need to know what is the option I've just clicked about.

I'm on yes into making pictures then add to each of them own tooltip (lack of tooltips made some confusions for some I saw playing some gameplays), but to not making bunch hard to remember texts everywhere, we'll have some things where will need to be described, at the same time it would be far easier if for the same aspects like health points we could use the same images, so player will quickly remember and recognize what is he looking at now, especially if that image is accompanying the sound.

Every life we know is an adaptable being, in what we inhabited to it's hard to change, so for you working with texts is better with images, for someone else it's not, like Rasmus pretty said "Reading is something that is taught to us and don't come as naturally as just associating an image with an experience."
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(11-04-2014, 10:06 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: That's what I was aiming for. Also, there are many more reasons to hate MS Office 2k7 other than what you mentioned. Smile

[Image: laughing-smiley-002.gif] We could probably start a whole thread on why M$ Office 2k7 and later sucks and have no shortage of contents for it. Tongue We could probably start yet another on why Win8 sucks and have even more contents for that one. Tongue

Big Grin
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
I am probably the only human on this earth that likes Win8 Tongue As soon as I got rid of all the fullscreen-apps I have enjoyed it more and more Smile
It has its good and bad. Maybe 8.2 will make it better...
IMO M$ would have been better off sticking with Win7 for most computers and allowing Win8 to be specialized for handhelds, which is what it looks like it was meant for anyways. IMO it could do a decent job in that capacity, but trying to run my laptop with Win8, and a normal mouse/touchpad setup just doesn't work as good as I'd like with all those touchscreen features I can't really use as my screen isn't a touchscreen.
The Golden One!
I think the biggest problem is that MS installed the "app layout profile" as default on all computers. Most people I know that have stationary computers or laptops have all set these settings back to the windows 7 appearance, and in the meantime complained a lot about it. The other issue is also the windows 8 apps that no one seem to want, I remember being extremly annoyed with Skype for example that it was in fullscreen and had very uninformative gui. But once I got that solved everything has gone smoothly.

So what I think MS went wrong is to assume that anyone wanted the new app layout on their computers, there should have been an option for it during the installation, that would have spared them a lot of complaints.
That and making sure it was properly bug tested before release and was actually stable, and communicating better with 3rd party developers so they could make software fully compatible with Win 8. I had problems with bundled apps on my computer that didn't work with Win 8 and would freeze/crash my computer or freeze the win8 start menu. I also had issues with Win 8 itself crashing several times during the first 2 or 3 months I had it, before some updates finally fixed these fundamental problems with the OS.

That's been my main issue with M$ is they seem to use every 2nd OS as an alpha/beta test that we have to pay for, can't avoid without avoiding windows altogether, and then fix the problems in the next version, that all the previous version's pay to test customers have to pay for to get a fixed and working system.
The Golden One!
I have been the lucky one and haven't experienced any bugs, but if I did I would probably hold the same opinion as you. I remember going to windows Vista from XP, I have never been so annoyed by a operating system in my whole life. Hmm, well, I was rather annoyed at win3.1, but as it was my first I didn't care about it that much Tongue
I remember using vista briefly at college, when I was working there as a computer lab aide, and we were messing around with a newly set up computer in one of the labs that came preloaded with Vista and the college hadn't replaced Vista with XP yet, as was their policy at the time. After a few minutes the Vista crashed just from using it's own components.

I little later I was on help desk duty in one of the computer labs and a student came and asked me how to connect her laptop to the college's Wi-Fi network. I did my best to help her but Vista's features were so deeply hidden behind so many layers of menus and widgets that I couldn't find where the Wi-Fi settings were on her laptop. She ended up stumbling onto it herself by accident.

Needless to say, after those experiences and reading about other people's experiences, I wasn't the least bit impressed, and went out of my way to find a laptop that still came with XP when I needed to buy a laptop while the Vista crap was going on.
The Golden One!
OK, let's back on topic. Wink
Someone has another idea to make grouping and rally flag mechanism handy and easy to use?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
LOL, yeah, we did wander a bit off the topic for a while there... Thankfully we have an evil admin to bring up back on track here.

As for Rally Flag mechanisms, I'm pretty much into "wait and see what happens in version 0.7 before I make any more suggestions" mode. Smile
The Golden One!