Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Team News 2014.05.09 - The fall of Towns
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2014.05.09 - The fall of Towns
I am posting this because I will not try to hide my involvement with SMP, also because the actions made by SMP is indirectly affecting Dwelvers. I think all the members out there deserves to know what is going on.

Dwelvers involvement with SMP is that SMP has supported Dwelvers financially during development and will take a small cut of the Steam sales in return.

What I am writing here is not any exclusive news in any way, every person that follows towns have probably already heard about this..

Some of you may know that last February shortly after BurningPet decided to leave towns Xavi decided to hire a new programmer 'Moebius'. I actually got a bit excited about this because things started to calm down and people got their hopes up (including me) that Towns will be finished. But now just a couple of weeks before the steam release of Dwelvers things took a turn for the worse. Moebius decided to leave towns because his salary wasn't high enough and it didn't cover his expenses for food and rent. This have caused a uproar that I would describe as worse than before Moebius got hired, and this is where we are now..

For those of you that want to read more about this you can check out the links below:

Moebius is leaving towns:
http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...073c387688

Statement from Xavi after the leave of Moebius:
http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...073c387688

Eurogamer did a interview with BurningPet and Xavi last night:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-0...l-of-towns
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 01:58 PM by Sebt.)
09-05-2014 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
damiant Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: The fall of Towns
Open source the towns code, and it will never die. Or, make 20M euro on dwelvers and restart working on towns and nobody will remember the oops. This is what happens to underfunded projects.
09-05-2014 08:08 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

We will see what happens, right now Xavi is talking about that some big company is going to buy towns.
09-05-2014 08:51 PM
Rikus Khan Offline
Antroot Farmer

Rasmus, thank you for being so open and honest with all this non-sense involving SMP. I wish it wasn't a concern for you or us. I hope your actions will become copied by others in the community. +2 to you sir!
Code:
[insert witty text here]
10-05-2014 03:30 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

It's a never ending story, but I hope there won't be Towns 2 unless Towns 1 will be finished and people will be satisfied and the project will move forward like never before, even handed over to another company. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 11:00 PM by Sebt.)
10-05-2014 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Peetfighter Offline
A professional with standards

Haven't really been following that news. Does it mean your project could get into financial trouble?
I,m not crazed gunman dad, I'm an assassin.
10-05-2014 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(10-05-2014 03:30 PM)Rikus Khan Wrote:  Rasmus, thank you for being so open and honest with all this non-sense involving SMP. I wish it wasn't a concern for you or us. I hope your actions will become copied by others in the community. +2 to you sir!

Thank you for understanding Smile

(10-05-2014 10:59 PM)Sebt Wrote:  It's a never ending story, but I hope there won't be Towns 2 unless Towns 1 will be finished and people will be satisfied and the project will move forward like never before, even handed over to another company. Smile

I agree, but I highly doubt that towns 2 will ever see the light of day unless Towns is finished first.

(10-05-2014 10:59 PM)Peetfighter Wrote:  Haven't really been following that news. Does it mean your project could get into financial trouble?

I would say no. The progression of Dwelvers keeps on going according to plan, and as long as I get enough money for food and rent I will keep on developing it in the same phase. As I don't have any other expenses I don't need to sell that many copies a month to survive. I am pretty confident that for every update made after steam and the closer we get to the final release the more sales we will get.

What is sad is that it if Towns didn't got into all this trouble and the development of it had gone smoothly then Dwelvers probably would have had a lot more opportunities to get some real advertisement. But it is what it is, and as long as the steam release goes well we will have nothing to worry about Smile
10-05-2014 11:19 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

(10-05-2014 11:19 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 10:59 PM)Peetfighter Wrote:  Haven't really been following that news. Does it mean your project could get into financial trouble?

I would say no. The progression of Dwelvers keeps on going according to plan, and as long as I get enough money for food and rent I will keep on developing it in the same phase. As I don't have any other expenses I don't need to sell that many copies a month to survive.

Man, if it gets bad enough you can't afford food, I'll send you some Ramen Noodles so you can keep truckin along. Big Grin
11-05-2014 12:14 AM
Orifiael Offline
Dungeon Lord

Shitload of text I just read Tongue
All they had to do with Towns was make a multiplayer (2-4 players, each a corner or random location) Hostile or Friendly.
And you hit platinum n.p. Tongue

Ah well, drama, drama,.. personally when I would be the coder I wouldn't even go to the forums, hire one guy for that job, and keep my head as stressfree as possible with a little hint to my forum and feedback manager to only pass the postive feedback through my office Smile.
11-05-2014 11:56 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(11-05-2014 11:56 AM)Orifiael Wrote:  Ah well, drama, drama,.. personally when I would be the coder I wouldn't even go to the forums, hire one guy for that job, and keep my head as stressfree as possible with a little hint to my forum and feedback manager to only pass the postive feedback through my office Smile.

Haha, that sounds expensive Tongue
11-05-2014 01:47 PM
burningpet Offline
Game & Graphics Designer
Dwelvers Game Designers

(11-05-2014 11:56 AM)Orifiael Wrote:  Shitload of text I just read Tongue
All they had to do with Towns was make a multiplayer (2-4 players, each a corner or random location) Hostile or Friendly.
And you hit platinum n.p. Tongue

Ah well, drama, drama,.. personally when I would be the coder I wouldn't even go to the forums, hire one guy for that job, and keep my head as stressfree as possible with a little hint to my forum and feedback manager to only pass the postive feedback through my office Smile.

A PR or a community manager is not a substitute for direct interaction with your player base. if xavi had done just that, maybe the notion that Towns is a complete game wouldn't have sneak into his brain.

I really Don't wish to comment on this whole affair again, since this issue is torching my insides and gets me extremely mad when i free my brain to think about it all over again, so i apologize in advance if you find my silence on this topic offensive..
11-05-2014 02:14 PM
TacticBlack Offline
Tactical Dungeoneer
Dwelvers Voice Actors

As a person who bought towns... I am not all that bummed. Cool concept, Xavi got a big head, PR, and family issues, Ben couldn't do much about that, and poof no more Towns dev, then fan rage. Sad, but all a part of the business world. Ben, I think your talent is waaaay better spent here in 3D and I don't think anyone should worry too much about the issue of association since I think we have only seen one person from that scene come here and try to blow off some steam. At the end of the day it's all water under the bridge. Dwelvers is a different rodeo with a solid community, responsive feedback and bug fixes, modular coding for easy modding, and a familiar concept with a new twist. It is going to do well regardless of trolls or assholes.
[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.

11-05-2014 07:08 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

(11-05-2014 02:14 PM)burningpet Wrote:  I really Don't wish to comment on this whole affair again, since this issue is torching my insides and gets me extremely mad when i free my brain to think about it all over again, so i apologize in advance if you find my silence on this topic offensive..

Good to see you writing again on the forum Ben. Smile
You're not in Towns team, but you still write around Towns topic and under Eurogamer post. You've put many effort on the game so I know what you feel. Now you're in Dancing Devils team and I really respect your work for Dwelvers and that you help Rasmus to be where we're now. Hope everything with Towns will go enough to not need you to involve in Towns topic anymore. Wink

(11-05-2014 07:08 PM)TacticBlack Wrote:  As a person who bought towns... I am not all that bummed. Cool concept, Xavi got a big head, PR, and family issues, Ben couldn't do much about that, and poof no more Towns dev, then fan rage. Sad, but all a part of the business world. Ben, I think your talent is waaaay better spent here in 3D and I don't think anyone should worry too much about the issue of association since I think we have only seen one person from that scene come here and try to blow off some steam. At the end of the day it's all water under the bridge. Dwelvers is a different rodeo with a solid community, responsive feedback and bug fixes, modular coding for easy modding, and a familiar concept with a new twist. It is going to do well regardless of trolls or assholes.

Thanks for kind words. Well, the aim is to built a game with community for community, we couldn't do anything without people who buy the game or donates us - that's the true essence of indie games. I learned so much from Towns situation and the result is that we won't even need any PR to keep players satisfied because of the good and still improved quality of the game itself as taking feedbacks seriously and discuss ideas. If we will ever get bad opinion because we were somehow connected to Towns (but it's nothing more and less than what Rasmus said in first post) than I know that seeing how we're managing problems and solve them we will gather more defenders than attackers. The secret weapon we use is honesty, sincerity and transparency - I feel that these factors were lacked of in between Towns devs and community.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 08:04 AM by Sebt.)
11-05-2014 09:37 PM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

Well said Sebt. +1.

There's been a ton of drama surrounding Towns for the past 6 months, and unfortunately, due to Dancing Devil's funding agreement with SMF, some of that drama spilled over to Dwelvers and Rasmus got drawn into it to some extent. The way you guys on the Dwelvers team have handled the drama has been an example to all indie developers with the honesty, integrity and professionalism.

@Peetfighter: Welcome back, it's been a while since I last saw you post here. Cool
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
12-05-2014 05:54 AM
Demetrius Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
I greatly dislike this games associating with Burning pet. All the blame doesn't just go to Xavi as the towns page lists two developers...Xavi and Ben. It seems a little late to distance from him as he is now a member of this project.
25-06-2014 12:32 AM