Poll: Digging is...
This poll is closed.
...inevitable to get all those precious minerals as fast as we can and flaten the construction zones.
71.43%
5 71.43%
...and insult to mother nature, and should be kept to a minimum, ¡you barbaric plague!
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Brainstorm Construction Mechanic - Bulldozing the landscape or respecting mother nature?
The problem is if tunnels are added to the game, a tunnel going under a room or another tunnel could be hidden by the space above it. My idea is that you hide all levels above the one the player is currently viewing to prevent an obstructed view, but that all levels below are still visible like they are now.

For example, you are currently viewing the top level of your dungeon, this view looks almost exactly like the current view does. Now, let's say you built a tunnel under a store room, and get a message that a fight's breaking out near there, so you want to see what's going on and if reinforcements are needed, but you can't get at that tunnel because the store room keeps getting in the way, and all the objects in it keep blocking your view of what's happening in the tunnel. So you use the depth view setting to change to level 4, so now levels 1, 2 and 3 are all hidden, so now the store room no longer blocks your view or intercepts actions intended for the tunnel below (such as placing the rally flag in the store room, when you really want it in the tunnel 3 levels below the store room.

Similarly, having the ability to hide lower levels could also come in handy, to reduce the "noise" of seeing too many levels stacked on top of each other, something that if no controllable could get very confusing in a large dungeon with many levels stacked on top of each other.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
I see, I like this idea a lot. Hiding all levels above the current and show all below current level is a great solution.
One thing is that I would prefer to not hide lower levels, maybe just make them visible in 20% so player could have overall look on lower levels too as other tunnels - only first layer of blocks from current view will be visible for the player, so the rest could be stacked because they won't be visible - so you'll see all sides of cubic, but not its interior.

What's more this game me idea of kind of "depth view" for hydraulics - in Sim City 4 to built water pipes you need to enter the underground mode that shows all water pipes in city, maybe we could make it the same for hydraulics because now they don't look very well, trap systems should be hiden.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(27-05-2014, 10:37 AM)Sebt Wrote: What's more this game me idea of kind of "depth view" for hydraulics - in Sim City 4 to built water pipes you need to enter the underground mode that shows all water pipes in city, maybe we could make it the same for hydraulics because now they don't look very well, trap systems should be hiden.

This would be really cool to do with the Hydraulics. This was actually a feature of all the Sim Cities where you put underground infrastructure. The view would be toggled anytime you would select one of these types of constructions which would make viewing them easy to do here.

As far as the multi-view aspects allowing tunneling, you both make good points but I'm wondering how implementing this would impact updating the game in the future. Some of the concepts seem simple enough logic-wise, but the real sticker is gonna be the complete rewrite of the pathing function. I like this idea, but personally I would rather see other things take precedence like rooms, traps, and creatures.