Solved & Confirmed 0.7 - Imp stuck on impossible job
Whenever I find a root, I have an imp dig straight down to the core to harvest all that precious wood and then build floor tiles from the bottom up to cover the hole/retrieve the resources.

This particular time though he dug a root that wasn't below him but on one side, so the whole side column falled 1 tile. So far so good. The problem was that I instructed that a floor tile should be constructed at the top of said left column, and THEN I planned for the imp to start building floor tiles below him to get back up, but he was too fixed on building the first floor tile - which he couldn't reach because it was too high for him. So he just stood there.

[Image: vrlfJUd.jpg]
Thanks, added to list of Bugs/Issues & Crashes. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Working on this one..

But I am curious about something, something that made me scratch my head for at least 5 minutes Smile
The rock the imp stands on does not look as the ordinary rock texture. Have you changed the texture or is it something else than rock he stands on?
(02-06-2014, 01:36 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Working on this one..

But I am curious about something, something that made me scratch my head for at least 5 minutes Smile
The rock the imp stands on does not look as the ordinary rock texture. Have you changed the texture or is it something else than rock he stands on?

That's no rock, but a bunch of chopped up root laying on the floor Big Grin
I'll experiment further with this when I get back home, like radius of influence, etc.
Is this bug reproducible for you? I can't get the bug to work, the imps always builds the "rock wall" if he can reach it. Is it possible that you were building something down there that wasn't a "rock wall"?
Does your job selection algorithm include a way to cancel a task from an imp's next action if it can't find a path to that task? If not, that could be a problem, that could get imps and other creatures "locked up" on an undoable task, that no one else would do since it's already been "taken".
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(03-06-2014, 07:14 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Is this bug reproducible for you? I can't get the bug to work, the imps always builds the "rock wall" if he can reach it. Is it possible that you were building something down there that wasn't a "rock wall"?

I just tried it again and is still an issue. This only happens if:

1. The hole is 1 block wide.
  2. You mark to build the block outside of the hole FIRST and then the one at the bottom.
  3. The outside block job is adjacent to the hole vertically or horizontally, NOT diagonally.

If by any chance a second imp passes by an builds the block you marked outside of the hole, the imp inside the hole WILL build the block.

Hope this helps.

ADDENDUM

After several tests, I've had 2 times where they DID started building when they "shouldn't" have, according to the list I posted above. 2 out of maybe 20 different tries with different "heights" of blocks surrounding the hole. I can't quite explain why they happened, nor can I reproduce them.

I'll keep "digging" into the issue.

ADDENDUM: The Revenge

It happened again, only this time it was worse:

[Image: elLKxY8.jpg]

I was filling a resource excavation and placed the uppermost phantom block (the one the green hand is pointing at) first and then the others. Imp won't build them.
@Excess:
Thank you Excess for this detailed explanation and for the screenshots. I got it the moment I put my eyes on it Smile

When building sites are put out they can't be built in random order, this is because if the player decides to make a corridor of walls the imps need to start with the one that is farthest away, otherwise the workers will get locked in. This only applies to building sites that are next to each-other. So if you build walls two tile away from eachother in a corridor, then they will be built on random, (this is something that could be a issue, but I imagine that it is only at rare occasions the player do that, and it is pretty demanding for the cpu to check all buildingsites if one could block the other when they are far away from eachother and so on.) but if the player put up buildingsites that will block the path next to eachother, then the imps will start on the one farthest away. This goes for delivering resources as well..

The problem was that the game includes two buildingsites next to eachother even if one of them is unreachable. It stops the imps from building the wall in front of the unreachable wall because walls are defined as "pathblockers". This bug was probably in the 0.6 version as well.

Good job noticing it Excess Smile

This bug is now fixed!

(03-06-2014, 07:22 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Does your job selection algorithm include a way to cancel a task from an imp's next action if it can't find a path to that task? If not, that could be a problem, that could get imps and other creatures "locked up" on an undoable task, that no one else would do since it's already been "taken".

If a imp can't reach a job the job will get cancelled and he will start looking for other jobs. In this case it wasn't that the imps were trying to build the unreachable wall, it was just that building the unreachable wall was the only job available for the imps in that scenario.
I see. Thanks for explaining that to me.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
That actually explains everything, even why some of my experiments worked while others didn't.

I'm glad you caught this bastard and thank you for explaining in detail what was wrong with it (and the other bugs as well), it's very interesting to read.

I'll make sure to double-check it in 0.7c when it comes out.
(04-06-2014, 03:20 PM)Excess Wrote: I'm glad you caught this bastard and thank you for explaining in detail what was wrong with it (and the other bugs as well), it's very interesting to read.

I like explaining what went wrong Smile Maybe it is me that tries to get the result of the bug hunting out of my system, but mostly it is because you guys takes so much out of your time to explain in detail where and under what conditions the game fails. Sometimes (like in this example), the detailed explanation and the screenshots can save me so much time. And for that I am really grateful Smile

Also if you understand the bug you can probably also filter between the different bugs in the game and recognize if a bug is a new bug or just a "ripple" of a old one. And I think that is good Smile