Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Game A centralized place to report grammar & spelling issues?
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

A centralized place to report grammar & spelling issues?
What do you guys think about having a centralized place to report grammar and spelling issues? This way we won't fill the forum with "bug" reports.

I'll start with a couple:

1. "No storage avalible"
    In the title of the production's message when you lack storage space.
    When discovering a new item, in the message that says it's "avalible for production".
    Should be: No storage available.
  2. "This room do not need workers"
    In the room properties of a jobless room, like the bed room.
    Should be: This room does not need workers.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 05:36 PM by Sebt.)
04-06-2014 01:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I know my English is bad, the thing is that every sentence in the game is modable in the xml files. I was hoping on getting some help with proofreading these files after the next release. Sebt and I have also been talking about making a topic about language modding as well..

Once all the bugs has been solved I will return to this topic.

(Moved to general discussion.)
05-06-2014 11:10 AM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: General grammar & spelling issues
(05-06-2014 11:10 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  I know my English is bad, the thing is that every sentence in the game is modable in the xml files. I was hoping on getting some help with proofreading these files after the next release. Sebt and I have also been talking about making a topic about language modding as well..

Once all the bugs has been solved I will return to this topic.

(Moved to general discussion.)
Even better. My offer to translate the game to Spanish still stands. You'll probably have to add subtitles to what the dark mother says in the tutorial, as I can translate the text all right but my acting and recording skills are nowhere near TacticBlack's.
05-06-2014 01:28 PM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE:
Perhaps you could give TB a script to read? All he'd need to do is say the words with the proper pronunciation, and judging by his talent for making voices, I'd say mimicking another language shouldn't be too hard to do, as long as he knows what sounds to make.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
05-06-2014 06:52 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE: A centralized place to report grammar & spelling issues?
I went through the default language file and cleaned up all the grammar and spelling errors I could find.

Here's the corrected version:Cool

Attached File(s)
.zip  English_Grammar_Corrections.zip (Size: 5,22 KB / Downloads: 11)
The Golden One!
05-06-2014 07:10 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Thanks SU Big Grin

+3 for the help and the initiative Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 07:47 PM by Rasmus.)
05-06-2014 07:46 PM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

I've double checked SU's file and found only 2 little details:

FileName.xml Wrote:Line#
Previous string
Fixed string
(reason)

Default.xml Wrote:314
Imprison enemies
Imprisoning enemies
(It's an action like the ones before it?.)

SEPERATOR
SEPARATOR
(Typo.)

And there's 2 lines that bugger me:

107 - Constructions Productions I'm not sure why, but this line bothers me, I don't like how it sounds.
310 - Selector location What's this used for?

I've also checked the messages files:

msg/MsgHungry.xml Wrote:4
One of your creatures are hungry
One of your creatures is hungry
(Even though "creatures" is plural, the verb "to be" refers to "One", which is singular. Therefore, it should be "is" instead of "are".)

Make sure that you have enough food to keep your creatures well feed. You also need a bar table with chairs next to it built so that they have somewhere to eat. If you choose to ignore this your creatures will die of hunger.
Make sure that you have enough food to keep your creatures well feed. You'll also need a bar table with chairs built next to it so that they have somewhere to eat. If you choose to ignore this your creatures will starve.
(Added the "You will/You'll" because you are talking about something that should be done in the future. Moved the "built" before the "next to it" so it sounds better. Erased the "that" because it wasn't necessary. Changed "die of hunger" to "starve".)

msg/MsgNeedRest.xml Wrote:5
Make sure so that you have a bedroom with an appropriate bed for the creature. If your creatures don't get any rest they will get grumpy and turn against you.
Make sure so that you have a bedroom with an appropriate bed for the creature. If your creatures don't get any rest they will get grumpy and turn against you.
(Removed "so that" as it wasn't necessary)

msg/MsgNoConnection.xml Wrote:4
One of your creatures are locked out
One of your creatures is locked out. (Same reason as in MsgHungry.xml)

One of your creatures is locked out from the rest of the dungeon. Check your dungeon so that no passageway is blocked between your dungeon center and your creatures.
One of your creatures is locked out from the rest of the dungeon. Make sure every creature has access to your dungeon's center.
(The whole phrase didn't make much sense in my opinion. I changed it completely to something simpler)

msg/MsgNoStorage.xml Wrote:4
No storage avalible
No storage availible
(Typo)

msg/MsgThirsty.xml Wrote:4
One of your creatures are thirsty
One of your creatures is thirsty
(Same reason as in MsgHungry.xml)

Make sure that you have enough beer to keep your creatures drunk. Some of your creatures needs beer to function, build a brewery for them so that can refill their alcohol level. You also need a bar table with chairs next to it built so that they have somewhere to sit. If you choose to ignore this your creatures will get grumpy and ignore your orders.
Make sure that you have enough beer to keep your creatures drunk. Some of your creatures needs beer to function, which you can produce with a brewery. You also need a bar table with chairs built next to it so that they have somewhere to sit. If you choose to ignore this your creatures will get grumpy and ignore your orders.
(Erased an unnecessary "s" in "needs". Changed the whole second sentence as it gave the impression that the brewery could directly fill the thirst meter of the orcs, changed it to something more general. Moved "built" before "next to it" again.)

Is there a way to have all the item's descriptions in 1 file? I'm too lazy to check them one by one Big Grin

[attachment=120]

Also, is Default.xml translatable? Or are you going to change something mayor about where/how you store string? If you won't change anything, I'll start to slowly translating it into Spanish.
06-06-2014 01:49 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE:
From what I could tell, it has the English phrase first (that seems to be used in the code as a constant), then the phrase that is actually displayed, which is used as a variable is 2nd). To make a Spanish version you'd just need to translate the 1st version of the phrase into the Spanish equivalent and replace the 2nd phrase that is shown in English by default.

Example:
Code:
<t value = "True">True</t> /*English version the part inside the angled brackets is what the game uses, the part inside the t tags is what the game displays for the user*/

<t value = "True">Verdad</t> /*Spanish Version - the word "true" is replaced with the word "verdad" Spanish for true*/

Hope that makes editing language files clear.

Cool
The Golden One!
06-06-2014 02:33 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Very nice, thanks! I will get it in there before the next version Smile

As I can see you guys have already been poking around in the folders I may add that there are some more language files out there Smile
All the items and the creatures also have a language.xml file in them, these files works as creature and item description. Just putting it out there if you want to check it out Wink
06-06-2014 06:00 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
You are absolutly right SU, the first one is used as a constant and shouldn't be changed even if it is spelled wrong. Just correct the one on the right.
If you are translating the game into Spanish, then you can create a new xml file and name it Spanish.xml. Copy all the text in the default.xml file to the Spanish.xml file and translate the inner text values as SU described Smile

What also need to be changed is:
<title>Spanish</title>
<extension>ES</extension>

There are a lot of things that needs translating, in the language folder there are also a msg folder. Here you will see for example two files named:
MsgBattle.xml
MsgBattle-SE.xml

If you want the spanish translation as well you need to copy the MsgBattle.xml and rename it to MsgBattle-ES.xml then translate the content.

This technique is used all trough the game, every item and creature folder has a language.xml file that can be copied and named to language-ES.xml.

The building languages are in "media/xml/buildings/". Here you will find a lot of files with ...Info.xml on the end.
For example "ArcBridgeInfo.xml" and "ArcBridgeInfo-SE.xml"

Here you need to copy and rename ArcBridgeInfo.xml too ArcBridgeInfo-ES.xml.

There are a lot of files, and a lot of translations that needs to be made. It took me a lot longer than I expected to translate the game into Swedish..
07-06-2014 03:00 PM
Deathcricket Offline
Dungeon Lord

(06-06-2014 01:49 AM)Excess Wrote:  Make sure that you have enough food to keep your creatures well feed. You'll also need a bar table with chairs built next to it so that they have somewhere to eat. If you choose to

I was coming to this thread to help correct the myriad of grammatical issues I also spotted on my first play through. But I see someone has already beaten me to the punch. Well done sir! I didn't go through the attached file, I'm sure you did a vast improvement. Just one small correction I noticed while reading your post though, change "well feed" to "well fed".

If you need anything else, I am here to help also, but sounds like you have the matter resolved. Wink

Just bought the game on Steam, pretty fun!
15-09-2014 07:12 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Yep, good proofreading and proofreaders are things we would really be happy with to have, unfortunately we have no native English speaker now available to help with proofreading, as creating lore, etc. Be prepared for additional myriads of Nazi grammar tanks... Undecided
Oh and tanks... thanks for feedback. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 09:47 PM by Sebt.)
15-09-2014 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
*cough* *cough* *ehhem* Native English speaker here. I can add this to my bug search. I'm not a Nazi on grammar, but it is important to me.
15-09-2014 10:04 PM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
There are still some mistakes here and there, specially the dreaded Availible (which should be Available).
15-09-2014 11:33 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
I don't mind guys if you join any language team and help them in proofreading or just do some proofreading of actual texts in English language. Wish we could be bigger team, but any volunteer help is priceless. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 06:30 AM by Sebt.)
16-09-2014 06:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply