My New Idea Environment Mechanic - Sight behind walls
• Sight behind walls •

Info
It's possible to see 1 row of dirt behind your walls, this makes it easy to see if theres something behind it. Its very convenient, but i dont know if i really like it.

In DK u had the option to listen for footsteps or use the sight of evil, this added to the excitement because u could actually make a mistake and destroy a wall u didnt really want to yet.

Will the current vision behind walls stay in the game?

Appearance
Not specified...

Stats
Highlight: Hearing footsteps and seeing behind walls.
Function: Mechanism that has possibility to hear the enemy behind walls.
I really like the idea used in DK to see only Your walls and nothing behind that makes a little creepy atmosphere when it comes to enemies digging out the rocks behind... and yes, I agreed, ATM to much we could see behind our fortifications, so we couldn't surprise the enemy if he/she would set a trap at us or prepare something bad.
If it comes to sounds behind walls I wouldn't hear every sounds on the map, only that in Your territory and very close to walls behind.
Maybe adding something like: as close to Your dungeon is the enemy as volume of their moves/digging/spellcasting etc is rising up?

Also, Your suggestion has been added to Ideas & Game Features list. Wink

Welcome to the forum BTW. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I like the idea as well, but I'm not really sure how DK did it. Right now I can't have the possibility not being able to not see behind the walls, because the dungeon is randomly generated there could be enemies behind the first wall, and that could really be annoying for the player because he will have no chance to create Dark Dwarfs directly from start.

Hmm, do you mean that the player will not be able to see the enemies before digging through the wall? Because I rather sure that DK showed what type of building/tile was behind the first walls.

Another thing that have been in my mind is adding so that the player can't see what is happening in a certain part of the dungeon unless his minions are there. Having a faded fog of war, the buildings will still be seen, but the player won't see the enemies unless someone else sees them. Right now the Dark Dwarfs are rather good in exploring the dungeon. They tries to seach of the terretory by always going to the location they haven't been in in the longest time. This could be improved by having the Dark Dwarfs set on "guard mode" where they will search the territory where NOONE have been in the longest amount of time..
(02-10-2013, 03:50 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Hmm, do you mean that the player will not be able to see the enemies before digging through the wall? Because I rather sure that DK showed what type of building/tile was behind the first walls.

DK only showed you the tile that was able to be fortified once you dig; all the tiles behind that were blacked out. Sight of Evil was good for looking around before digging, or I would save the game before I went exploring too far and heard 'You have tunneled into a new area', and had to facepalm because I wasn't ready to open the walls yet. Of course right now I don't think being that restrictive on the visibility is a good thing, but should definitely be a standard in the final game.

(02-10-2013, 03:50 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Another thing that have been in my mind is adding so that the player can't see what is happening in a certain part of the dungeon unless his minions are there. Having a faded fog of war, the buildings will still be seen, but the player won't see the enemies unless someone else sees them.

Are you thinking of having this affect claimed tiles that the player owns, or would this be a matter of I just tunneled into another's territory and I have been able to see what structures they have, my minions leave the area and the layout is still visible, but I can't see what the other player is doing, adding, or expanding to?
Could there be the possiblity to create "wall blocks" or something, to fill in spaces where you've dug through into an open area? Then you could dig through, clear out the area, then plug up the hole again. Or if you didn't mean to dig through just yet, go "oops, bugger..." and stick a wall block in the way. It would be like a diggable tile but made of rough chunks of tone or whatever, a constructed wall. Then you could also make a wide open space a bit more defensible by putting walls across it with traps behind them and stuff Smile.
I am the Wordweaver...
It could be done that when your creatures pass by a wall behind which there are other (enemy) creatures, your minions may hear sounds from the other side and alert you (maybe creature experience/type and number of enemies would play a role).

Whilst you would always hear a faint sound when paying enough attention. The fog of war could be designed so it reveals over relatively long distance, but only dirt and (some) resources. This is so that the player doesn't start digging completely blindly in search of resources one block deep at a time.

I do think that just adding minor sounds trough walls will play a great deal in adding atmosphere to the game. Things like water sounds or lava or others like that, especially when possessing minions.
The walls can actually be rebuilt already Smile

I like the idea of having it so that the player can accidentally dig into a room filled with Impanzees, but I still want to give the player more clues than sound, it should be possible for the player to confirm somehow that there is a room behind the wall, it could be something small that are easy to miss (Of some reason I came to think of the windows game Minesweeper Tongue).
How about some kind of "dust" that falls of the wall with a room behind it? Or a slight change in color? maybe a bit brigher or darker ?
I like that idea, maybe having some dust particles coming from under the wall if there are a open room nearby.
(08-10-2013, 02:06 AM)Rasmus Wrote: I like that idea, maybe having some dust particles coming from under the wall if there are a open room nearby.

Its not that obvious either, so mistakes could still be made if not paying attention. Depending on how hard it is to see, id still like footstep sounds behind the wall Smile
(08-10-2013, 02:06 AM)Rasmus Wrote: I like that idea, maybe having some dust particles coming from under the wall if there are a open room nearby.

hm ive been thinking about this, but i dont think the dust should come from under a wall.
Id like the dust to be kinda pushed out of the wall due to the pressure from the dirt above it.
Sounds very good, just need to work on it so that it looks natural.
If you don't want to limit it to just a visual affect (in case the player isn't looking over there) you could tie a imp sound into it. For example, an imp here's echoes on the other side of the wall and makes an exclamation or something, same principle as the dwarfs' battlecry, but maybe not quite as obvious. Might teach the player to listen as well as look carefully.
I like that, when the creatures get near the wall they "feel" something.. I will probably implement that Smile