Feedback/Modification Room Mechanics - Wells and Farm connections
I don't know if that was normal but minions which i have assign to farm waiting to other minions to take water that's not works of farmer to take water by themselves?
The thing is that the well can be built anywhere and it isn't room assigned. The current system of the game is that workers that works in different rooms producing items should stay in those rooms and don't wander off. I am working on a way to get the water into the production chain in a more efficient way. When it comes to water it is an unlimited resource and it should never be a shortage of it.

Right now I have four ideas to solve this issue:
1. As it is the diggers and the path-claimers that are responsible of fetching water we need to set a side a certain percentage of them that will always prioritize the well. The downside here is that it can get messy. It is better if they don't have anything to do with delivering to the production chain.
2. Wells gets assigned to storage rooms, this means that the storage room workers in these rooms will fetch water if there is a need for it. The downside is that having the storage room workers fetching water will take a lot out of their time and their hauling jobs will be neglected.
3. As you said, every room that needs water will fetch it themselves from the nearest well. This will make things a lot easier because the water will always be there. The downside is that the water will never get delivered to any storage rooms, this isn't bad atm, but it can cause some issues in the future.
4. The imps will stock up on a lot more water so that when the time comes that the imps go and do something else there will be some reserves. The downside is that this is just a way to push the problem forward.

Right now I am pretty keen on idea number three as you said.

And btw. welcome to the forum Big Grin
how about somethin like the "free" imps will priorize water when there is less the 3 times the amount of water neded by the linked rooms to a storage room when they got other stuff to do
and stockpile a bit more maybe up to 5 times when they would otherwhise be idle
for example there is a farm with 4 squares of field ( 4 x water ) a farm with a mill ( 0 x water ) a cookery with a cooking table and a brewing vat ( 4 x water ) linked to a storage room with
20 x water so the "free" imps will go and get 4 water
(10-06-2014, 08:44 PM)Rasmus Wrote: 3. As you said, every room that needs water will fetch it themselves from the nearest well. This will make things a lot easier because the water will always be there. The downside is that the water will never get delivered to any storage rooms, this isn't bad atm, but it can cause some issues in the future.

[...]

Right now I am pretty keen on idea number three as you said.

I don't know what you have planned for the future that might conflict with this solution, but if each imp fetches his own water perhaps you can make it so storage workers fetch water when they are idle too?

I vote for solution #3 too. Actually, to maximize water storaged right now, I've started builing the wells inside my storage rooms, so idle path-claimers/diggers don't have to carry it too far and can fetch more of it in the same time.
Okay, so this is how I do it..
I will keep the current system and also give the workers in the rooms the possibility to fetch water. In this way the free-workers will fill up the storage rooms with water when they have nothing to do, and at the same time the workers in the rooms will fetch water if the free-workers aren't doing their job. So there will still be a small drop in water deliveries when the free-workers are occupied, but only after a while and probably not more than 25% or something like that.

(I moved this thread to suggestions)
I also changed the way the free-workers delivers materials to the room.
In previous versions they only delivered items to the closest storage room, which caused some issues because it didn't matter how close the well was to the farm room, they still run right by it..
So now the free-workers delivers the items directly to the closest room that has workers in it. This will mean that rocks and such also will be delivered any room, maybe the farm room, but the storage room workers will clean it up afterwards. The point here is that it will now be an advantage to build wells close to the farm rooms and other rooms that needs water.
How about this: why not allow the well to be build inside specific rooms as well. So a well outside any rooms will be used by idle storage workers, but a well inside the farm/cookery will only be used by the farmers/cooks. This way the specialized workers don't ever step outside their room, much like now.
Welcome to the forum Marius Smile
In the future I will probably make it so that wells can't be built anywhere and that they need to be close to a water source. It has been very tempting putting the wells inside rooms because it would solve a lot of issues..
Hi
Yep, water sources make more sense. I'm guessing you don't really mean near water squares but have wider areas somehow shown as water heavy with some overlay or darker dirt? Smile
(11-06-2014, 08:45 PM)Marius Wrote: Hi
Yep, water sources make more sense. I'm guessing you don't really mean near water squares but have wider areas somehow shown as water heavy with some overlay or darker dirt? Smile

I really like this idea. Perhaps this can be complemented with "splashy" sounds when a creature walks over them?

Maybe, just maybe, if you leave a wet spot out in the open for a long time, without a well built over it, water can start pouring out of it? Could this be done with the new water system?
Yeah it is possible, but one thing at a time Smile Right now I am focusing on the room-linking, then after that I will focus on balancing the game and the equipment system. Once that is done features like this can start to get implemented.
(11-06-2014, 10:21 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Yeah it is possible, but one thing at a time Smile Right now I am focusing on the room-linking, then after that I will focus on balancing the game and the equipment system. Once that is done features like this can start to get implemented.

Thank and good luck Wink
~ French Fan site Community, manager.
[Image: 195677userbarfactoriofofoxav.png]
~ Looking for Sandbox games ? look my Blog or youtube (Eng sub soon)
[Image: 176032userbarclubsandboxxavfofo.png]
Quote:Thank and good luck
Definitely.

That pesky water does seem to keep coming back as a problem in one form or another though, doesn't it? Tongue
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!