New Feature! Room Mechanic - Handling goods in storage rooms
I think found some storage issues in 7d.

1. Create 2 tile Storage, built 2 tables on both tiles. The storage an be linked, but nothing is sent or taken out of it.

2. Once I sell the table, the Storage Flag shows up and things begin pilling up on the flag, and my table also begins filling up.
Now I think that "if" the Flag tile is mandatory for each storage room, then this tile can have a "hidden" or "soft cap" capacity to hold items. Say a max X per item.
I think that doing this should also not be counted towards the "maximum capacity" of the storage room. I think doing it this way will made MD room slower to fill up and help prevent production shutdown.

3. Not an issue by a question: do water wells deliver the bucket of water to the nearest storage room?
Or perhaps maybe "Pentagrams." Place Pentagram in a location you would like for fast travel. When the Imp stands on the Pentagram, it will teleport instantly back to Dark Mother. Or, you could place one Pentagram at one location and then place another and allow the Imps to teleport between locations. Just a thought.

[Image: 500px-Inverted_Pentagram_circumscribed.svg.png]
(17-06-2014, 03:01 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Hmm, this is a issue.. It could be solved by adding more workers to a specific room. But I do feel the problem goes deeper than that..
So if we worked out a way so that the storage room workers got a speed boost of some sort or that they are a lot faster on moving items between storage rooms (without making imps carry more than one item).

One idea that comes to mind is some sort of a hydraulic that could be built next to a storage room for quicker transportation. In this way the imps don't have to run between the storage rooms that much, they could just deliver the item to the hydraulic and it could transport the items for them. But what would this hydraulic look like and how would it work?

That would help, for sure, in dealing with clogs due to too many items needing transport, but I also had problems with most/all store room imps idle while production rooms were also idle due to lack of needed items, which were all sitting on shelves in connected store rooms not being delivered by the idle imps. I think that a lack of water was one contributing factor to everything grinding to a halt in that case though, and wells were only producing a few buckets before getting a "no productions star" over them and no imps would get water from it thereafter, not even when all unassigned imps were idle and rooms were screaming for water.

Quote:Or perhaps maybe "Pentagrams." Place Pentagram in a location you would like for fast travel. When the Imp stands on the Pentagram, it will teleport instantly back to Dark Mother. Or, you could place one Pentagram at one location and then place another and allow the Imps to teleport between locations. Just a thought.
That would be a great idea for an item transport method too. Let's say flour is needed in cookery room 2, and stored in store room 3, but cookery room 2 is connected to store room 1, which is on the opposite side of a large dungeon. Instead of having an imp run all the way across the dungeon, it could deliver it to the nearest pentagram, place the item on it and have it transported to the pentagram nearest to store room 1, where an imp would then go and collect it.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
The catapult idea is really funny Smile But it may be annoying for the player seeing items flying all over the place in the dungeon Tongue
The pentagram is also good, but I would like to have a visual representation of when the items are getting delivered.

I want to keep it so that items don't get instantaneously transported because it would take away the "whole building rooms in a specific way to maximize the production" feature.

I had an idea earlier today that have been growing in my mind. At first I was thinking tubes that the imps could place the items in, but as it would work just as the pentagram it is still an issue. But the items could be transported on bands that the player put out, these bands would run non stop and the player will only have to put an item on them to get them on the way. In that way it will still take some time before the item reaches its destination, but as the imps don't need to leave the storage rooms to use this band it would definitely increase the transportation time.

This feature would require two buildings, one band, and one machine that works as a input/output.
some kind of engine would be needed too maybe something that needs coal or wood or my favourite a bike connected with a transmission belt to the rear wheel whitch needs an imp to power it Smile
It could be real nice having the imps work a bicycle, and very possible. But it will also be extremely necessary that it is operated at all times.

So lets play with that idea.. This is who I imagine that it could work..
- The band will only need to be operated once when it has items on it.
- The "bicycle" will operate the whole band, no matter how long it is.
- The band can only be built straight, not divided into several bands, in this way it can only have a connection between two storage rooms, if the player wants to have more storage room connection he will have to build more "bicycles".
- The band will both have in and out, so that items can be transported both back and forth at the same time.

Here are the conditions for that the imp will work the "bicycle".
- There are at least one item on it that needs to be transported.
- There are no items in the storage room atm that needs to be delivered to the target storage room. (So that he keeps on loading items on the band and send them all at once.)
- There are no one operating the band. (As the band goes both ways only one storage room worker from either this or the target storage room needs to work the band.)

What do you think?
Sounded confusing until I thought back to my days with the old Sierra/Impressions 2D city building games and some of their warehouses that had
Store 'store the item in that warehouse'
Empty 'actively look for a warehouse that is set to get and put it there, if none exist, look for a warehouse that is set to store the item'
Get 'actively go and get the item from a warehouse that is set to empty the item, if none exist, get the item from a warehouse that is set to store the item'

Is that about right?
I am a master at making things sounds harder than they are Tongue

That sounds about right.
Store - (No arrow) Works just as the storage room in previous version. If there is room items will be stored there.
Empty - (Red out arrow) Empties the storage room of this specific item and put it in another storage room that accepts it.
Get - (Green in arrow) Gets the specific item from other storage rooms that don't have a direct need of it.
That bicycle idea sounds like a good one, an imp powered conveyer belt (IPCB) basically. +1 Ras, +1 Aische. Wink
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!