Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Potato Salad - a Kickstarter campaign!
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

Potato Salad - a Kickstarter campaign!
Someone started an experiment how much people could give for really small thing and that thing for example is a... potato salad, yea a crowdfunding campaign has started. The goal was to earn 10$, but now... it has 33.000$... what can you say about that? Salad anyone? Big Grin

Link -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324...tato-salad

[Image: photo-main.jpg?1404327844]
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 07:00 AM by Sebt.)
08-07-2014 06:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TopperHarley Offline
Sleepy Weasel

RE:
An inverted world we are live......

Some people give money for this "stupid" campain but for starving children or other bad events in the world no one will donate...
(Which is not to say that none of the backers elsewhere donates.)
((btw I'm just not in a good mood))

And quite honestly, that does not look like a Potato Sala I know him:-)
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 12:14 PM by TopperHarley.)
08-07-2014 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
This potato salad news spreads really fast. I got a message on Skype about it only 2 hours after Sebts post Tongue
08-07-2014 12:27 PM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE:
This is crazy. Big Grin People will donate thousands to that yet not to legitimate projects. My guess is it's the $1 minimum contribution that's helping get so much money. Tongue File that away for future crowd-funding initiatives. Wink
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
09-07-2014 06:10 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Well this is how every small thing can gather hundreds of donaters only because idea is presented in extraordinary way and addons to main thing are interesting and people want to have it, be a part of that enterprise. I'm researching Kickstarter and its campaigns and if it comes to games first two places belongs to the same studio which gathered 6 million $ in total. Actually they have muuuuch mooaar (like Star Citizens that got 2mln on Kickstarter and now have 38mln (!) on their own crowdfunding campaign).
I wonder how much people would pay for Imp mascot. Big Grin
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 08:38 AM by Sebt.)
09-07-2014 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I can see this totally backfiring on dude. Right now he needs a kitchen capable of supporting 1124 people just standing around while he mixes potato salad and calls out 5110 names. Assuming that the 1124 people can fit in and come to his location to hang out in the kitchen he will need to be making potato salad for 2 hours and 7.75 minutes if it takes on average 1.5 seconds to call out a name. That is if he can manage not to mess up while multitasking cooking, hanging out, and roll call.

Then there is the logistics of shipping 1333 'bites of potato salad' to those below the hang out in the kitchen level. And the HATS, OMG the hats and shirts...I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the end he doesn't make much money at all or maybe even create a deficit.
09-07-2014 10:26 PM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I imagine him spending some money on getting it all in order. And he has gotten A LOT of money Tongue
10-07-2014 02:18 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE: Potato Salad - a Kickstarter campaign!
@Mellow: Just imagine how much advertising you could to for your business with almost $60000 in crowdfunding. Wink
The Golden One!
11-07-2014 07:09 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
More about Kickstarter, if you even spend all money for backers prizes, tiers, etc. this is always a mega powerful commercial machine, because you have already vast amount of people who would be interested in your next work and you maybe earn some collaborators too, IMO crowdfunding is the best thing in the internet ATM for earning money and getting a huge attention. Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 01:39 PM by Sebt.)
11-07-2014 01:39 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Absolutely, crowdfunding is a much safer tactic than going to a bank for money. If you can manage to get enough awareness about what you are doing, then reaching your funding goals is fairly likely. These things fail more often than work though, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

@SU: 60K for advertising would be nuts. I only spend around 3K right now per year. I think a cheesy TV ad would be in the works at that point. Like this local cult classic:

11-07-2014 07:21 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE:
yeah, and as long as you set up a system to track the effectiveness of your marketing, and can know for sure that it's bringing in more revenues then it's costing, you business becomes immediately scalable, to grow at that point, all you need is to hire the necessary staff, and increase the advertising that's working.
The Golden One!
14-07-2014 05:15 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Hmm some companies works without public advertisements - they're called mystery masters (Tajemniczy Mistrzowie in Polish).
Also in Multi-Level Marketing companies advertising is allowed only via net of sales representative and their clients, no need to have any big budget.
Now also many zero marginal cost tools - mainly saying about internet software allow us to advertise us. Buzz marketing is also a cheap and successful method of advertising if you are really capable to use it potential to the fullest.
14-07-2014 10:12 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I find word of mouth is the only reliable form of advertising at least for my business. When your aim is local business, traditional advertising goes only so far, and it seems that most people are jaded to many of the traditional forms of advertising. Email blasts are really useless as most people won't read them, and when you put effort into social media sites like Facebook/Yelp/ect those are just essentially word of mouth in electronic form.
15-07-2014 06:17 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Yes, that's very noticable - people as older are as it is hard foe them to make changes, improve, invest(especially for long term), the rest is just a lack of knowledge, sometimes I can't stand how some firms in which I worked are still standing... maybe because they're good at combinatory or even cheating people... sad, but I worked with some very greedy personas.

BTW... potato salad has:
- 6,104 backers
- $50,390 pledged of $10 goal
- 17 days to go
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2014 11:27 PM by Sebt.)
15-07-2014 11:25 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Go Go Potato Salad!!!
16-07-2014 01:46 AM