Dwelvers Forum

Full Version: Creature mechanics - Pathfinding for the swimming in the water / lava
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Dwelvers 0.11.3 BT version creatures can swim, Drillers are the one that can swim the lava without getting hurt, but sometimes creatures doesn;t behave as expected.

Here I made some excavations to make my entrance to dungeon more fancy and I wondered what if I let drown some of my creatures? Angel

The two of them: Dudoan the Rogue and an Unnamed Imp went on the trip to make my fancy entrance. They have fall down - the Imp to the right of stair and Rogue in front of the stairs. The results was that Imp found the way to reach a quite flat tile to stand, but Rogue had problems with finding way back to dungeon (or he just wanted to swim, you know they kind of doing a DIRTY work hah...), so he started to swim the pool:

On yellow there were blocks that were dug out by both workers:

[Image: ohkea1.jpg]

So Rogue set off on a Journey, swam the pool a little and finally... landed on the other side of the pool where a hostile Fishmen greeted him with a Jump Kick... and that's how his journey ended.

[Image: 333h2c7.jpg]

For Imp the adventure ended well, so well that when he built a block, that I later ordered him to dig out he managed to get out from the water immediately, without any hesitation he swam into the entrance. For these days I don't know why those paths were so different for both of them.

[Image: 14xjf9.jpg]

Moreover sometimes cave-ins creates water or lava flood with Drillers inside... which can be really annoying when drowning and don;t know how to get out - they are squeeing and shimming in one place until I finally dug out to them so they could get up and be killed by my troops:

[Image: wm0zfm.jpg]
Hmm, right now the creatures swim randomly and has no pathfinding at all. Not sure I want to fix this issue. It is some skills in being able to drown a creature or human...

But at some point I probably want creatures that can swim and use that as a normal path to travel. So I don't know if we should call this an improvement request instead of a bug. What do you think?
You're right, so I moved that topic to suggestions forum. Smile

I think that would be great if creatures could always swim to the nearest place that is dry, find a shortest way to get out from the water or lava. That also could be a fun feature if really heavy units like Knights could just go down like a brick when fall down to the lava of fluid (if at least two tiles deep). Big Grin
Yeah that would be a little bit more realistic Tongue