Dwelvers Forum

Full Version: 0.6c - Rally doesn't draw all orcs immediately
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am not going to call this a bug, because I don't know if this is behavior is intended or not. It could just be an issue with my understanding Smile.

When I have a large group of orcs, say 20, and I rally them across a large dungeon, or try to bring them all into or out of a narrow corridors (like the labyrinth), the ones farthest away take a very long time to respond to the rally call. The orcs that are closest rally quickly, but there is always some that wait behind until the first group has either reached the flag or cleared out from some narrow passage. Then you can see the stragglers all react at the same time, take a few steps, then stop again. Or, they start to leave one at a time.

So when I want to attack something, I have to "pre-rally" my troops for many minutes before they have all arrived because the farthest ones away take the longest to start running, and also they get interrupted and stop moving once they have started. My feeling is this is not as fun as if they started running immediately and kept running, just like those closest to the rally flag do, because I have to sit there and wait while the orcs are just standing there, even though my rally flag is up.
I don't think the behavior is intended, but it is inherent. There are a lot of paths to consider moving that many at once across a large distance especially, and even more so if some or all go through or to a maze. Computing power plays a role as well. I think this suggestion is in line with correcting this behavior.
Actually the rally flag can only draw 9 creatures toward it at once, when these 9 creatures has reached the flag, the rally flag draws 9 new creatures towards it and so on. It isn't optimal behaviour and I will fix it Smile

Added to the list of Bugs/Issues & Crashes!
Yes, the Guard Stations would certainly cut down on the number of orcs responding to the rally flag as those assigned to a Guard Station would stay at their post even when a rally flag is up.
(19-02-2014, 09:36 AM)Rasmus Wrote: [ -> ]Actually the rally flag can only draw 9 creatures toward it at once, when these 9 creatures has reached the flag, the rally flag draws 9 new creatures towards it and so on. It isn't optimal behaviour and I will fix it Smile

Added to the list of Bugs/Issues & Crashes!
Ah, wonderful. That will help me get my orcs out of my huge combat rooms when they need a rest.
But I would like to point out that I am not that pleased with the rally flag as it is either, the player shouldn't have too send his whole army when just killing one creature.
Agreed. There needs to be different levels of rallying. If you implemented the assign guards feature then each guard squad could have its own rally flag in addition to a general rally flag to rally all fighters for a major emergency, like the Dark Mother is under attack by a horde of Cyclotaurs or something.
I think the rally flag needs to be only for emergency situations. The dungeon should be able to defend itself without the players interference.
The only problem I see with that is in the case of exploring into new territory. Right now when I have my Imps digging into new territory I always have the Rally Flag up ready to move the Orcs ahead when they break through. If the Rally Flag became something you only used in Emergencies I take that to mean that there would be a hefty cost in using it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that?
Hmm, maybe this could be solvable somehow by automatically having creatures in the dungeon follow/guard the imps when they are claiming new territory. This isn't that hard to do and would be something that could feel natural for the player. And if the imp encounters enemies even more creatures from the dungeon will run to that place.

But even so, I agree with you. This don't solve the actual issue with that the player should be able to control the creatures more directly without having all of them run over to the flag. One very simple solution is using rally flags with a percentage on. Or that one rally flag only draws 25% of the creatures in the dungeon to it, and if the player wants them all he would have to put down four flags. But it can be a little tedious having to remove and put down flags all over the place..

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/Rallyflags.png[/IMG]

I have already added the option to have more rally flags in the game, so it could just be a matter of expanding this menu.
(26-02-2014, 08:06 PM)Rasmus Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, maybe this could be solvable somehow by automatically having creatures in the dungeon follow/guard the imps when they are claiming new territory. This isn't that hard to do and would be something that could feel natural for the player. And if the imp encounters enemies even more creatures from the dungeon will run to that place.

This may get confusing if the Imps are excavating in 2 different locations especially if they are far apart. Maybe if we combined this with a Guard Room that has combat units assigned to it, there could be an option to 'Send on Patrol' where you could take the functionality of the chain linking the rooms, and modify that to select an area or path for that group to patrol.
Also, if the assign to squads idea were implemented, then each squad could have its own rally flag, as could each guard room/barracks, in addition to a general rally flag. So the squad specific rally flags would send only that 1 squad to it, whereas the general rally flag would all all fighting creatures to it. So the general rally flag would be for emergencies or setting up an "Armageddon" style battle where you send everything you've got at an enemy and either win or lose the game.
Solved with the next version!
I don't know if this was the intention of the OP, but if I think of 'Rallying Immediately', that should also mean stop everything and go to the flag. I waited for an Orc to start eating then dropped the flag. He did eventually go to the flag, but that was after eating and then sitting in the chair a bit before getting up to Rally.
This is a bit tricky. I don't want creatures too stop what they are doing if they have started something. Also, I think eating is prioritized above the rally flag in the task prio menu.
Pages: 1 2