Brainstorm Creature Mechanic - Creature production - Ideas needed!
So here is my quick two cents: Players should have to "unlock" different creature types (as an economic fixed cost) through constructing creature specific rooms, somewhat like DK. Those rooms can be made difficult to build: you can make the rooms/buildings require rare materials that must be discovered in the map. Cost to make creatures should be based on the food they consume, or if the creature is magical/extra strong then on some enchanting loot items you find. For undead: obviously we need a place of some kind here that works like DK: drag your victims there and they become skeletons or zombies, or, if they were magical creatures, they become liches. Equipment like armor and swords for orcs should be craftable and should become usable by creatures as they level up: Higher level creatures can use better equipment that must be made with stuff you dig up or conquer.

Edit: I was just thinking. If you want to do the meat grinder idea, you could make it part of the food chain. You could make "hero loaf" and "creature loaf" (kinds of meat loaf) that are then consumed by monsters and dark mother when spawning different types of creatures. You could control access to meat grinder versus graveyard/prison with door locks.

Edit 2: I keep thinking. I should alt-tab to dwelvers and stop, my brain hurts. So, you could also make the graveyard/prison for your own creatures, instead of for heros or npc monsters. Then you could only make undead versions of your own creations. Also, instead of direct sacrifice for creation, you use the corpses of fallen creatures you make. To make sacrifices an result of combat (or forced starvation ala the sims). Maybe create an sacrificial chamber room with different altars for different creatures instead of graveyard/prison for sacrifices. Graveyard for undead, prison for.... I am not sure yet. Maybe heros can go there and if you interrogate them, you get a part of the unexplored map exposed where there is good treasure.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creature production discussion - Ideas needed! - by damiant - 16-02-2014, 03:43 PM
RE: Creature production - Ideas needed! - by Sebt - 13-04-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: Creature production - Ideas needed! - by Sebt - 13-04-2014, 08:10 AM
RE: Creature production - Ideas needed! - by Sebt - 13-04-2014, 10:54 AM
RE: Creature production - Ideas needed! - by Sebt - 20-04-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Creature production - Ideas needed! - by Sebt - 21-04-2014, 12:21 AM