Brainstorm Creature Mechanic - Creature groups and rally flags
(01-04-2014, 02:08 PM)Sebt Wrote: Quick creature bar
Well I think this may be the easiest way to solve problem of getting information how much creatures we have:
Just show creature icons on the top of screen like it is showed in Creature Inventory thread, but in normal game window too. Thanks to this and also by clicking one of the icon you could quickly open target creature's inventory. Smile

Yeah, I want it as simple as possible, only their face, a number, and maybe a flag if the rally flag for them are active.

(01-04-2014, 02:08 PM)Sebt Wrote: Items bar?
For items I think we don't need any bar. Actually when I need to put something I need to search in tangle of icons those which indicates resources I need to put that thing, which is annoying, later Dwelvers there will be really much of them all... Smile
What I suggest is not to show them on any bar, but when you want to place something by hovering mouse on for example Skull Torch you'll see it's description, needed resources and in brackets how much do you have each of them available.

I agree, besides, this is nothing urgent IMO, this can be addressed later.

(01-04-2014, 02:08 PM)Sebt Wrote: Grouping and Rally Flag
For grouping creatures I always appreciated option to just click on unit than handle "CTRL" and click "1" button to add unit to group number 1, then to remove it you need to do it once again. Then if you would send group 1 using Really Flag you could click just "1" button and you'll get an info which creatures are in group 1 and how many. How can you see this? Simply if in this group there are for example 2 Impanzees at the left-bottom side of Impanzee icon you'll see number 2 (maybe in different color just to recognize easier and faster which creatures are in group you choose). So after clicking "1" button you'll see number 1 on Rally Flag button which means that you chose group number 1 and after clicking on Rally Flag icon and placing Rally Flag wherever on the ground only creatures in group 1 will go there.

The problem here is that the player can't select more than one creature at a time, I don't know if this is wrong, but that is how it is atm. The "ctrl+1..2..3" could still be an option for fast access to the rally flag, but to assign them that way will be a little harder and will have to wait for future updates.

(01-04-2014, 02:08 PM)Sebt Wrote: Don't have any other solution for these ATM, so let me know what's good what screams to be improved, especially that I prefer to have creature icons on the top side od the screen because all other corners are occupied, top-left by messages, top-right by minimap, bottom corners not, but there is menu, which will probably wider than now, so only top and right side left to be used.

Hmm, I am trying to make them fit at the top.

(01-04-2014, 04:42 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: I think this is a good idea, but it seems backwards. When we consider most UIs, right clicking is usually action or menu whereas left click usually does nothing more than select. So Rally Flag would be right-click, Zoom to Creature would be left-click.

True, I will switch it around Tongue Why I thought about it backwards is because of DK where the creatures and buildings are zoomed in with right clicking.

(01-04-2014, 04:42 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: On the other hand, it may be nice to have an option in the Items Menu like what we have to stop production called 'Track Item'. This would place the Item Icon on the screen with quantity displayed. This would be useful for tracking the necessities like Food and Beer to make sure your supply doesn't get too low.

Hmm, tracking items. You mean like zooming in on them or have them "very visible" with icons hovering them? The item type you want to track that is...

(01-04-2014, 04:42 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: I would like to see the Items window modified in order to better see what Items by type I have. For instance:

Raw Resources:
[Stone Icon] [Wood Icon] [...] [...] .................

Manufactured Items:
[Bread Icon] [Beer Icon] [...] [...] ...............

Halt All Production [Y/N Checkbox]

Weapons and Armor:
[Axe Icon] [Shield Icon] [...] [...] ..............

Halt All Production [Y/N Checkbox]

* Sorry I went a bit off-topic there *

Hmm, yeah a little off-topic, but still very interesting, the thing is that I have been thinking about categorize and update the items menu in the next few days. The reason is also that I want the player to be able to send out orders on weapons and armours to the armoury through it. Like selecting a sword and then just add or remove orders, just like the creatures. I am a little torn if I want a separate menu for this or if the item menu is enough.

(02-04-2014, 12:34 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: First of all, I'm going to link to a thread about a very similar topic: Game Mechanic - Assign Squads

Ahh sorry, I remember that something like this was posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it at first, should have looked harder :S

(02-04-2014, 12:34 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:
Quote:Grouping and Rally Flag
On this topic, I'll re-post my message from another thread here:
Seriously Unserious Wrote:I'd like to see equipment profiles and creature groups (ie squads) be handled separately so it's possible to create squads with a variety of different creatures and equipment sets. If a squad consists of nothing but archers, for example it would be very vulnerable unless another squad, made of of some sort of malee equipment could also be sent to the same place, which would create too much micromanagement in a game not designed to support that level of micromanagement, so a squad would need to have a balanced set of equipment and skills on its own.

So a squad could be assembled by setting how many members of each equipment profile you want in that squad and the game would automatically assign the right number as soon as their available, and any that can't be assigned right away would be handled as vacant slots waiting to be filled, handled by some sort of queue system. Individual creatures should also be able to be assigned to a squad, for cases where you want an experienced member to build the squad around or a creature with special equipment, such as a unique weapon or armor.

Hmm, so the idea I presented above will allow the player to create squads with different creatures and equipments. But I am not so sure about having the squads created after the equipment the creatures wear, the main issue here is that the player would have less control over the squads, because they always need to check so that the squad is strong enough / filled up before they send them to battle. Also, what if you want several archer squads, maybe one which is stronger and slower and one that is weaker and faster, you wouldn't be able to control what creature types will fill the squad and that could be annoying. Well, it is somewhat possible to control it by only equipping certain creatures with bows that you want in that squad, but I feel like there is too many things that can go wrong.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 04-04-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by prof_ion - 07-04-2014, 08:17 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 08-04-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 10-04-2014, 09:51 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM