Brainstorm Creature Mechanic - Creature groups and rally flags
(05-04-2014, 12:21 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Now that's getting closer to what I'm talking about. As for the percentages, how about this? Define a total number of creatures you want a group to have and set the percentages of each class or type of warrior you want so that the percentages all add up to 100%, that way you have some control over how strong any particular group gets, so if you want a small, fast patrol group you can cap it at just a few fast creatures with light weapons an armor suited to moving quickly and spotting enemies at greater distances then most creatures or groups normally are. If you want a mighty army to attack your enemies, you can set a group up to be large and consist of a mix of fast, light soldiers (advance scouts/skirmishers) and powerful, but slow shock troops and archers (the main assault force). Depending on how your creatures and equipment is allocated, you can take on different strategies, by either setting up many smaller groups suited to exploring, patrolling and raiding, or fewer larger groups suitable to invasion, conquest and destruction of our enemies (or repelling a large scale assault on you by an enemy).

This means the player can use the assign squads feature to respond to different strategies and needs, by creating massive armies to invade/repel invasions to small, fast scouts to explore and patrol. Which way you go depends on your available resources, needs and preferences.

As for the other concern you mentioned, about there being too many equipment combinations, I can see this becoming a problem in a mature game where a lot of new equipments have been researched. What you suggest above is one possible solution to this issue, another could be to be able to declare an equipment profile and equipment obsolete if something comparable but purely better is available. For example, you start out with knives as the small, edged malee weapon of choice for impanzees, and later on a new, better version is invented, the dagger, so you declare the knife as obsolete (no-one will make any new knives any more and all profiles that use the knife can have an graphic or tag of some sort flagging that the knife is obsolete so it can be updated to use the new daggers instead, or even have an old profile no longer is use be declared obsolete so that no one else can be assigned it any more but anyone who already has it won't suddenly lose all their equipment, but can be flagged that some of their equipment is obsolete so they can be upgraded to a new more modern profile later on.

This is very good, now I think we are talking the same language again Tongue
I will sketch something up tonight I think, I have some news I am about to get out there, but I think I will have to wait with it until tomorrow Smile

(05-04-2014, 12:21 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Again, it would also be very helpful to have the ability to recycle or destroy unwanted items that clog up the stores and can never be used because there's way more then will ever be needed. This isn't as common in some of my later 0.6c games but it still can happen that stores get filled up with an overabundance of some items to the point where needed items can't be stored or excessive stores are needed to keep junk around, simply because there's nothing you can do with it.

This is a very good idea I think. Destroy unwanted items to regain its material I think will come very natural in the game, and it would be easy to implement together with a "craft items menu". +2 to you Wink

(05-04-2014, 07:44 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:
(04-04-2014, 05:27 PM)Rasmus Wrote: ...Maybe the red bar at the bottom could show the creatures happiness (if the are well rested and so on.) Then we could maybe have the group on the right so that we could have a big letter or number.

So something like this?

[Image: GHGd.png]

I used Greek letters because having a number there may get confusing for the group/squad designation. Also added an indicator to show what type of group/squad this is. So you see the top belongs to a mining group and the bottom belongs to a combat squad.

This is very good Mello Big Grin +2 to you Smile
I have been thinking a little about the group/squad icons. When creating a squad the player could also have the option to assign a icon to it from a larger library of icons in the game. So maybe these icons could consist of a icon of a bow / sword / shield / healing(+) / fireball for example, then the player could assign the icon to the squad he think fits its purpose the best. So lets say we have two fighting squads and one ranged squad, then the player could assign the "sword icon" to the two fighting squads, and as there are two of the same icon it will also get a letter assigned to it, then the "bow icon" could be assigned to the ranged squad. This will make it very easy and intuitive for the player to know what squad do what. On top of this I have also made it so that the rally flags for specific creature types and squads will have the creatures icon on it or the squads icon, but this will be presented in the news tomorrow Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 04-04-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by prof_ion - 07-04-2014, 08:17 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 08-04-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Sebt - 10-04-2014, 09:51 PM
RE: Creature groups and rally flags - by Rasmus - 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM