Game Game Mechanic - Can I get more gold from start?
Have some iron and gold forced into the top or second layer near the player, without more then 2 orcs at lvl 1 the player sometimes cant even face the nearest threat.
I don't think you need more gold. I think that 2 orc's and the imp's in the start is enough to make a storage, make food and dig down and find gold. It's better like this in the previous version the gold was easy to get and you can make like 10 people after you brew the beer.
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
One other thing that you may not have noticed is that the cost of orcs and dwarves increases depending on how many you have. So it will not be possible to make 80 imps like in the previous versions. When we get more creatures this will play an important role in the excessive storage usage, when the creature cost increases and all materials can be used for it I think people will value 80 rocks in the storage room much more than now Smile
Yea I know I noticed it when ask for 2 orc's and only 1 came out.
Pyramid of Live
Sorry Tongue
I splited this suggestion from the whole list of ideas You've put before and put that here. Please avoid making lists for suggestions completely, this can be easly missed by us and tells very little about Your idea, so bear it in mind. Wink

Also, because there is observation/complaiment rather more than suggestion I moved this tread into General Discussion.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I'm now of the opinion that more gold is definitely needed at the start, or at least a few small seams near the DM. I just my 2 orcs slaughtered by some creatures my imps stumbled onto when they accidentally broke into a huge cavern while digging tunnels out for rooms. Those 2 orcs aren't enough to handle anything except maybe for a very few impanzees. I had nothing to fight with, no gold, and no prospects of finding any anytime soon. as anywhere I could possibly search for gold was infested with enemies.
Hmm still maybe one gold then but I the game cant be to easy, also there is time enough to dig down and find gold an then make al you need before they are hungry, at least I can do that.
Pyramid of Live
The game is already too easy as it is.. no gold nor iron. i would go as far as saying half the resources given from start would do the job, BUT DONT CUT THE FIIIISH
3570K@3.8GHz|MSI GD-55 Z77|2xGTX 770|Corsair 32GB DDR3|Corsair 86W|Fractal Define R|2 TB HDD(3x)|240 GB SSD|H100I
Current record holder of:
Most fish stored at once! (5202x)
[Image: ghqnARY.jpg]:heart:
As I see it the game has three "walls" that the player will run into when playing it.

1 - Finding gold from start so that it is possible to explore the open caverns. This can be solved by building doors before entering an open area. And if you bump into enemies you can look the door and build a wall behind it, and start searching elsewhere after gold. Another solution is to begin digging right down from start and try to find gold or iron so that you can improve your army with more orcs or trainingrooms. Thirdly you can build traps just before entering an open area, these traps will probably kill of all the enemies when they enter, as long as there aren't to many enemies..

2 - The portals, claiming to many portals without blocking the entrance to them can make it hard to be able to defend your dungeon from all directions. Usually I like to find a couple of portals in the same area and build the trainingroom, bar, and bedroom close-by so that the orcs can keep on fighting and increase in level.

3 - Entering the maze. This maze isn't easy to finish, and once the door has been opened to it, it is a big possibility that the Cyclotaurs will take over your dungeon if it is not being defended with doors and traps from start.

I will not add more gold from start out of these reasons, right now the game is more like a survival game and it should be hard from the start to expand the dungeon.

In later versions I will make it possible for the player to build less strong creatures that can be made out of more common materials, but not in this version Wink
I want the player to try different tactics to overcome these obstacles, there is only one level atm, and if it were to easy the player would just get bored..
The problem is I had a game where I was trying to test things and couldn't because I couldn't find any gold before I ran into a huge cavern full of hordes of hostiles. This cavern completely surrounded my DM with barely enough space for a few basic rooms, and no sign of any gold anywhere without entering this cavern. It essentially made the map unwindable and prevented me from running tests for a specific bug.

Is there some sort of testing/debugging mode we can use when testing to add gold or whatever we need to test for specific things?
You can press alt+D to enter the development mode, from there you can enter the items menu and just press on the plus sign next to the graph to make the dark mother spit out any items you want Smile
Ah, that's helpful to know when I need to test something.

I knew about the development mode from Tricky's key combos thread, but not how to use it for anything.

Thanks, that should help next time I have something specific I need to test for.
Well, alt+D is the strongest cheat, when activated you can produce creatures in the same way as items, also you can build things instantly.