Q & A What exactly is the deal with SMP?
Well said Rasmus, well said.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
I feel I need to bump this thread, because the situation with Towns and SMP has not improved.

Although there have recently been rumors of a new programmer being found, burningpet or anyone else with an official status isn't saying anything or even showing up. This information comes from a long time community member with insider knowledge. This is a further sign that the SMP staff are unwilling to communicate to their customer base directly, using third parties to pass the news. They have abandoned the community.

I'm also posting because I just got banned from Towns forums, probably because I was saying things like "no matter what kind of community we have here, it means very little if the developers themselves don't want to be involved in it". I also pointed out the hypocricy of a person asking others to only post positive responses while he talks about how sick and tired he's of some of the people on the forum and goes to lengths to explain how they're wrong. This caused a massive thread derail and some people went outright batshit insane, and I got banned because supposedly I was "instigating" it by pointing out the hypocricy... I can't even ask what exactly warranted the ban because I can't login to the forum anymore.

TL;DR - Towns staff is using a third party to pass information about game status instead of appearing on the forums themselves, their moderator bans everyone in sight when a thread about the community attitudes goes foul.
I can totally understand how that would be frustrating.

Perhaps you might find things less frustrating over here in a community that's growing, supportive of each other and the project the
community's built around is far from off the rails.

Hopefully Towns will get themselves back on track before too much time has passed. Either way, you might find you have more fun playing around here, where the dev team is very responsive, the project is progressing nicely and has no major issues beyond what you'd expect with an alpha version game, and the alphas are being distributed for free anyways. I've looked into Rasmus' track record on projects like this and he's got a history of finishing what he's started.

From my communications with Rasmus, here, on another forum and by email, he strikes me as the sort of person who, when he starts a project, insists on finishing it if at all possible, and if it isn't, find a way to make it possible.
The Golden One!
Unfortunately I don't have a computer to run Dwelvers on. I'm a mac user and my windows PC is ancient. I'd love to try out the game and give feedback, but alas, I cannot Sad

It'd also feel silly to give feedback based on screenshots and youtube videos of gameplay... Smile
Doesn't mac have windows emulators that would be compatible with Direct3D 10+ software?

If so you should be able to play it on your mac using such an emulator. A good win 7 or win 8 emulator on your mac should do it.
The Golden One!
(25-01-2014, 06:34 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Doesn't mac have windows emulators that would be compatible with Direct3D 10+ software?

Yes and no. There is exactly one (Parallels 9) and apparently it provides only 30% fps compared to running windows natively. It feels like a lousy deal to buy Parallels for $80 just to play Dwelvers with a significantly reduced framerate...

Using the 14 day trial might work, but I don't really like the idea of hit&run QA testing. If I try the game now I'm going to want to try the future versions too, as I want to see how things are changing.
(25-01-2014, 04:16 AM)muzzy Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a computer to run Dwelvers on. I'm a mac user and my windows PC is ancient.

Have you considered using VMWare Player? They have versions for Windows and Linux, and Mac OS is pretty much Linux with some proprietary Apple code, perhaps that would work. You would need a copy of Windows to install under it, but I have used this to play older Windows 98 games just fine. You can check it out here.
(25-01-2014, 06:21 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:
(25-01-2014, 04:16 AM)muzzy Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a computer to run Dwelvers on. I'm a mac user and my windows PC is ancient.

Have you considered using VMWare Player? They have versions for Windows and Linux, and Mac OS is pretty much Linux with some proprietary Apple code, perhaps that would work. You would need a copy of Windows to install under it, but I have used this to play older Windows 98 games just fine. You can check it out here.

VMWare doesn't support DirectX 10 currently, so I'm out of luck.

http://arstechnica.com/information-techn...-fusion-6/
I see, I knew DirectX was supported, but didn't realize the limitations. VirtualBox has a hack to allow running some games that use DirectX 10. If you scroll down about 3/4ths of the page or search DirectX you will find it detailed here
(25-01-2014, 07:27 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: I see, I knew DirectX was supported, but didn't realize the limitations. VirtualBox has a hack to allow running some games that use DirectX 10. If you scroll down about 3/4ths of the page or search DirectX you will find it detailed here

I'm aware of this hack, but the support is only partial and I only have a windows 7 VM available and it doesn't really work with it. Again, I'm out of luck. Also, it's just too much trouble to tinker with it.

Thanks for trying to help, but I've already researched the options and given up. Perhaps I'll get back to it later Smile
Just registered to say I am in the opposite situation: I love Towns (yes, with all the issues and despite it never got finished as intended), and decided some time ago to support the 2 devs of SMP in any way I could as a costumer. I just loved every idea Towns had, and I am grateful to it's devs. So I actually only bought Dwelvers because Ben now has a part in it. And I only knew about the game because of SMP.

That being said, I am pleasantly surprised by Dwelvers as it is now, and it seems like a very good game, with great potential.

So great job so far, Rasmus and Dancing Devils! I am really hoping you will get to finish this without too much misfortune happening.
Welcome to the forum Vinces! Cool

I'm looking forward to reading your contributions to our discussions and any suggestions you have to add to the ideas already floating about for Dwelvers.

I think you're about the first person to post in this thread who wasn't upset about the handling of Towns.
The Golden One!
Hey Vincent, thanks for joining us and welcome to community. Smile

Thanks for understand this situation, well, Xavi at last posted on Towns forum what can happen later with the game and... there is no worry about our work with BurningPet, especially that he really help Dwelvers in shaping it's development process. Also I hope someone will takeover Towns project and will make from that something even bigger than now.

And yes, I'm looking forward to your suggestions and thoughts and because you supported us and play Dwelvers tell us everything about any bugs you find in specific forum for that. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
For those interested in reading what Xavi has to say, here's the link: http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopi...=8&t=11402
The Golden One!
Thanks Seriously Unserious! And Sebt! Very friendly of you Smile

Final word about Towns. I have certainly had my disappointments during the late Towns development, and I would have loved for it to continue development like before V1, but apparently bigger things happened in real life. It's a shame, but not a scam it seems to me. So no reason for me to be upset, and we'll see what the future brings.
Or maybe I am naive, and Xavi is lying on a beach surrounded by piles of money, laughing at all the stupid Towns people. Now thàt would be upsetting, but I somehow doubt it.

And it got me into Dwelvers, so that's another good thing, because this game is looking very promising.
Dwelvers seems extremely playable and fun for an alpha, but I have way more checking out to do before I could say anything useful to the devs.

No worries here about your team whatsoever, you seem very talented and motivated, just wishing you all the best of luck!