Solved & Confirmed 0.6c - Graphics performance of the game is laggy
Hello,

I am playing on a Dell Precision M6400 with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M video card. The graphics performance of the game is laggy and slow on this system. This system has an engineering workstation card, and not a video gaming card. Is there any way to turn off some of the graphics extras like shaders or dynamic lighting?

I've turned off the shadows option and tried both fullscreen and windowed. But neither help with the graphics lag. I went looking in the game folder for some files to manually edit, but nothing really stood out to me.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
For now, no. there is no solution to changing the Graphics more then in the menu, but im confident when i'm saying that it will come. Please remember that this game is in alpha stage, and we are still testing and finding bugs. So please keep this in mind and be confident that the game will be as awesome as possible when its released. As far as i remember, Rasmus has prioritised performance low, on his to-do list.
3570K@3.8GHz|MSI GD-55 Z77|2xGTX 770|Corsair 32GB DDR3|Corsair 86W|Fractal Define R|2 TB HDD(3x)|240 GB SSD|H100I
Current record holder of:
Most fish stored at once! (5202x)
[Image: ghqnARY.jpg]:heart:
You can actually change the view-distance, that could help a lot.

Other than that the heaviest reason for lagging is calculations for the work prioritization, and that will be fixed, I have already started making up plans on how the works will be contributed between the creatures which mean that a creature would only need to prioritize between 10 jobs at most. Right now one imp can prioritize between hundreds of jobs before he makes his decision.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to optimize the game yet. But I can assure you that there are a lot of things on my to-do list that will enhance the game speed a lot Smile
@Rasmus: Have you tried any different algorithms for getting an imp to search for a job? I don't remember all the search type algorithms out there, but I do remember that some are much more efficient then others. Bubble linear types are about the least efficient algorithms on unsorted lists of tasks.
Thanks for the suggestions. I turned the view distance all the way down (10 blocks) and it is still laggy. Even on the menu screen it is slow. The mouse cursor is about one half to a full second behind where it should be. I'm assuming its something do do with shaders or lighting. This system gets poor performance on other games that use these graphical extras.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
You can disable the shaders in the same menu where you put the distance down!
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
The shaders can't be disabled. But the shadows can.
yea thats what I mean Big Grin
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
I just wanted to make sure so that you don't confuse anyone Wink
I will have to set this one as fixed and we will need to create a new topic if people still thinks the game is laggy with the next release. Its fps is definitely improved, but there are still a lot of more things I can do that will optimize the game even more. I don't see this as an actual bug, it is just something that will need improvement as I keep updating the game.
Indeed, and perhaps in the future instead of having a general 'Laggy' bug thread, the thread should reflect what is causing the lag or what the lag affects, like: Creature Creation is Laggy or Screen Movement is Laggy.
unless everything is laggy or the cause is unknown to the poster.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(26-02-2014, 08:02 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: Indeed, and perhaps in the future instead of having a general 'Laggy' bug thread, the thread should reflect what is causing the lag or what the lag affects, like: Creature Creation is Laggy or Screen Movement is Laggy.

Well that's a good idea, than these threads would a general threads about laggs caused by Creature Creation, Screen Movement etc. I don't see any reason to have dozens dispersed around the Bugs/Issues & Crashes forum threads about laggs if for each kind of lag we could make one thread - this way people could find previous reports and solutions for the same problem as they are about.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
@Sebt: Good point. I find it does get confusing after a while trying to keep track of what bugs have already been reported and what have not when there's a lot of bug report threads around. I can take a look to make sure all I want but the more of them there are the more chance I'm going to miss something. Of course, we'd also want a general lag category if we're using this system for reporting lags for situations where either everything in the game is lagging, or at least several different lags are happening at the same time. I wouldn't want to have to report the same lag in several different threads just because more then 1 thing is being effected by it.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
So is the graphic performance still lagging the game?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy