My New Idea Creature Mechanic - Imp Retreat/Emergency Alarm
Imp Retreat/Emergency Alarm

Info
I would like to see the player have an option to prevent the imps from wandering into dangerous areas. I see 2 possible options to achieve this.

Burrow Option
I am an experienced Dwarf Fortress player and am really missing the "Burrows" function from that game. Essentially they allow the player to define an area, tile by tile, as a safety area. When needed, the player can then activate a "civilian alert" that restricts all non-military personnel to that safety area. Imps would be unable to pick up jobs outside the designated safety area and therefore, would not wander into harm's way. This option could be cumbersome for maps with shorter play times, however.
EDIT: Suggestion by Seriously Unserious, An option could be added to mark all currently claimed tiles as "safe."

Alarm Option
A "faster paced" alternative to the Burrow Option would be an Emergency Alarm. A button on the menu bar would be available to the player that, when clicked, it would call all imps back to the Dark Mother. The imps would be forced to remain within XX tiles of the Dark Mother for XX seconds. Or the alarm could be a toggle and the imps remain near the Dark Mother until the alarm is turned off.

Stats
Highlight: Grant the player a tool to restrict imps from traveling to areas deemed unsafe by the player.
Function: A feature like either of these would go a long way to preventing unnecessary imp death and dismemberment. Especially when the player stumbles into a large open cavern teeming with enemies.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Added to Ideas & Game Features list.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I love this idea! I've had similar problems with imps wandering into harm's way in those huge, enemy infested cavers, and even worse problems with them wandering into the maze just to get clobbered by the cyclotaurs.

+1 to your reputation for this suggestion! Smile
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Hmm like that esspecialy when you are digging and rebuilding
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
Oh, don't get me started on that, it gets so annoying when my imps dig into a cavern, even a small one, and keep running around on the wrong side of the wall when I'm trying to wall it off, open it up and wall it off again and again for several rounds until I can finally get the imps on the right side of the wall and not end up trapping themselves away from the Dark Mother.

Being able to set up something to basically tell the imps "don't go there" would put an end to that cycle of frustration.

EDIT: I just got an idea to make this feature more user friendly, having the option to have all claimed territory be automatically labeled as "safe." We could later on remove that designation or even turn that "autosafe" feature off and set up sage zones manually too.
The Golden One!
Yep in the pyramid of live I had the same problem for hours.. That took me the longest
Pyramid of Live
I'm not surprised. It must have started driving you crazy by the end of hours of building and digging the same blocks until imps were finally where they're supposed to be.
The Golden One!
Jep I think I finally left 4imps and they died
Pyramid of Live
I like this suggestion a lot! And it will probably be implemented as well Smile
+1 for you Smile
Thank you!

And good addition, Seriously Unserious, for the Burrow Option - a button that designates all existing claimed tiles as "safe."
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Thanks. It's definitely a good idea to give the user the choice between the convenience automation and control of manual action.
The Golden One!
I like the idea! but by taking imps out of dangerous ereas where your other creatures will go... who will bring back your fallen troops to their beds. since the time aloted to bring em back and save em is very short and frankly id rather loose a few imps then trainned troops. unless some other troop can have the abilety to bring back fallen mates. Maybe a healer type creature...
You'd have the option to turn this feature on or off at will, and it's also useful to prevent stupid imps from wandering off to the wrong side of a wall you're trying to build for some purpose and separating themselves from your dungeon, or getting themselves trapped in a tiny room or huge cavern with no way back. that can get quite frustrating when all you want to do is wall off an area and your imps keep wandering into there so you have to spend 30 min to and hour walling it off and digging it our repeatedly because your imps won't stay on the right side of the wall.
The Golden One!
One thing that haven't been discussed much is the spells, all I have right now is the possession spell. I could see a spell that would transport wounded creatures to bed if they are left behind after the emergency system have been activated (it will of course require mana of some sort, something that would limit the player to throw the spell every time).