My New Idea Room Mechanic - Forgeworking
Forgeworking

Info
Forgeworking allows for the player to produce weapon and armor upgrades with metal resources using a creature with the Forgeworking job role. The produced upgrades would be treated as individual items, not global upgrades for all creatures. These items drop on death and must be retrieved by imps. These items can be retrieved and used by enemies.

To reduce micromanagement, distribution of weapons should be automatic. A behind the scenes formula determines which creature will pick up available weapons and armors. Basically, the creature with the highest value is eligible first. Something like: (creature value) x [(creature level) x 0.25]. So a level 1 top tier unit would pick up a new weapon before a level 6 orc.

A creature does not need a rank 1 weapon to be able to pick up a rank 2 weapon. A creature picking up a higher rank weapon will trade weapons, so the old weapon is not lost.

Example - A rank 2 weapon is ordered from the items menu. A creature with the forgeworking job picks up the needed resources and moves them to the Weapon Forge. The creature then spends a fair amount of time working at the forge to produce a rank 2 weapon. The forgeworking creature is released from the job. The rank 2 weapon is moved to a Weapon Rack by an imp. A creature in need of a weapon upgrade goes to the weapon rack to pick up the rank 2 weapon.

Appearance
Displaying custom weapons and armor on creature models can be time consuming work for the developer. It would be nice to see them appear on creature models, but not needed. An easier path could be taken by re-coloring weapons and armor to show upgrade rank.
Rank 0 - heavily rusted iron
Rank 1 - crude blackened iron
Rank 2 - ordinary shiny steel
Rank 3 - blood steel (shiny steel with a deep red coloring)

Stats
Highlight: Grant the player an option to upgrade creature weapons and armor using available metal resources.
Function: Give value to metal resources. The loss of a high rank weapon should be a noticeable loss to the player. This encourages the player to weigh the possible outcomes of an attack.

A rank 3 weapon should be expensive and time consuming to produce. They should also provide a proportionally larger bonus to stats than rank 1 or 2. As in:
Rank 1 = +1 damage
Rank 2 = +2 damage
Rank 3 = +4 damage

Weapon and armor upgrades should add to the base stats of the creature. This means that creature experience levels would increase the effectiveness of weapon and armor upgrades as well. (This is assuming that creature experience levels are treated as a percentage bonus added to the base stats of creatures.)

All creatures spawn with rank 0 weapons and armor. These are considered innate and cannot be dropped or traded.

Related Game Additions
New creature job - Forgeworker
New resource - Blood Steel (must sacrifice a creature to gain blood to be folded into steel)
New furniture - Weapon Forge (for creating weapons)
New furniture - Armor Forge (for creating armors)
New furniture - Weapon Rack (for storing unused weapons)
New furniture - Armor Stand (for storing unused armors)
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Added to Ideas & Game Features list.

I needed to cut a little your title, if we would write short description in titles, we would have quite big mess when looking at while Suggestions & Feedback forum. Wink

Personally I'm against upgrading anything, because from natural, real point of view we can't upgrade anything until it won't be rebuilded with better metals, items that would make it better. From economical point of view, better would be to craft new then upgrade old weapon, so yes, the idea is very good because bit lies upon making enchantements, but new items. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I love this idea.

@ Sebt: I think he meant that the weapon would be better then the previous one the creature held, that the creature would drop it's old weapon when it picked up a better weapon. The rankings look like better versions of weapons, from either better craftsmanship, better materials or magical enhancement. So to get a rank 2 sword, for example, you wouldn't need to "upgrade" a level 1 sword, you would need the resource "Steel" to make it, which could be made by combining iron with coal, and using more coal to heat the iron-coal mix.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
That's right. I've wrote it because I don't like typical mmo upgrades, this idea is not about that. Just for the sake of someone who like typical upgrades I've wrote why it's not good. Tongue
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I really like that the creature value formulas, it would definitely avoid having to much micromanagement. Great suggestion Smile
I added the "weapon upgrades as items" qualifier because there are many ways to implement weapon upgrades in a game. My idea was to make them a physical item/resource that is handled independently of the creature. Other ways would be:
RTS style global upgrades.
Upgrades that are attached to a specific creature and disappear when that creature dies.
Player spells cast on a specific creature that are permanent until death.
Upgrades as items that consume the weaker item when upgraded.

And SU was right. My intent with this was to have the weapon ranks produced independently of each other. A rank 2 weapon does not upgrade a rank 1 weapon. It creates a new item.

Thanks Rasmus. The less micromanagement the better. Big Grin
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Your idea would be a great fulfilment of my idea here http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php?tid=642
I'm writing about everything in details, but not about same upgrade weapon system. For your formulas as I see now I've made Blueprints, to order weapons etc, I made Blueprints Menu. I see we have also the same idea of storing weapons it would be nice if we would choose from our odreagować the best solutions and connect them into one piece. Interesting is that we've came to the same idea in almost the same time, first sketches I made a week ago.