Forum Improved forum organization
Below I want to present my proposition for improved forum organization for forums related to Dwelvers.

Major changes

1. Suggestions & Feedback forum will be merged with General Discussion - there are many threads in General Discussion that should be in Suggestions & Feedback forum (Seriously Unserious even made a list of these suggestions in Suggestions & Feedback forum).
- because there is a lot of off-topic posts on the forum (oh well...) there is a need to put in the first post of a suggestion/discussion thread - links to every on-topic posts which are feedbacks or own suggestions. Every discussions will be added to the actual BIG List of Ideas which will be mmerged with Game Features list (more about this list later). Off-topic posts won't be deleted or moved to somewhere, just to be clear.
- instead of making next creatures, single traps idea we could make threads where we discuss some solutions, kinds of mechanisms that we could make for different things is game (and it seems will be better idea, look how many game mechanic ideas we have and compare it's number to other categories), so for example instead of making single trap thread there could be a thread how traps could look like, work in Dwelvers, discuss about their purposes, special abilities and with these ideas propose a single trap eventually. We could also discuss about creatures basing on it's environment, where it is living in and on usability. Some threads from Suggestions & Feedback forum will be merged into the one if says about the same category of things so.
- there are many discussions quite fast forgotten or suggestions unimproved after feedbacks, so there is no need to just talk about one idea, but to discuss various if it comes to whole category of things. };])
- what will happen to every actual made by community suggestions in Suggestions & Feedback forum? Well everything will be moved to the Archive, but temporary, I'll make threads where I will put into them every suggestions about one category. Most of them are about Game Mechanics and most of these will not be separated, but something like traps will.

2. Every forum will have it's own Prefixes (list option to the left of thread name), like now it's applied to the Bugs/Issues & Crashes forum. Each prefix has it's own colour.
What prefixes will be applied to what forum will be said in "Improved forum structure" in this thread.

Improved forum structure
Key: Marked with with double dash lines are certain forum Announcements - threads that shows up on certain forum only. Prefixes are in brackets.

Dwelvers
1. News & Announcements (if in the news article there would be something that Devs would like to discuss they will make an extra, separate thread(s) in General Discussion forum. Also if forum will be merged with website, all comments will be shown on the website news section and on the forum news section, the same at the same time. News & Announcements is moved to DWELVERS category.)
Prefixes for this forum: [Dwelvers Journal] (fresh news), [World Upgrade] (a.k.a. game update announcements), [A Letter From Rasmus], [Ask a Team Member], [Technical Announcement]

2. General Discussion (discussions, questions and suggestions about game and Dwelvers internet pages only. Also developers will be post here their visions, like new creature that Devs are implementing, but want to discuss their masterpieces with community).
Prefixes for this forum: [Announcement], [Brainstorm], [New Feature], [Impressions], [Feedback], [Question] (be sure... that I'll throw... every question about something that has been mentioned somewhere before to the Archive instantly!).
-- Game Manual & Tutorials - Video of Dwelvers Game Manual and links to tutorials of game bases.
-- Game Features - links to every aspect of the game or to someone's suggestion POST (not only thread). This list contains suggestions divided into these categories:
  • Actual - (actual, already implemented to the game features, most of the links goes to website, these are things that will back in the game in 100% or that were discussed with community before and be implemented to the game).
  • Planned (revealed or haven't discussed yet, so may need to be discussed - like Rogue creature - we have already revealed it's appearance, but nothing more).
  • Suggested by Developers (things that are already discussed, but wasn't planned, could be just a temporary solution or solution for some problems encountered in current state of development - like topic about Imp Priorities - that don't need to be marked as Planned Feature, because it's obvious that Imps will need to have made priorities for them).
  • Suggested by Community (gathered from all over the places where we've been).
-- Want to post suggestion? Read me how to do it (rules of how to post suggestions and where, very short and informative, with links)

3. Modding, Modelling & Map Making (Dwelvers assumes to be verrrry mod friendly and even now we're showing how the process of for example Item modding look like, so it's a good time to make a separated forum for modding only.)
Prefixes for this forum: [Map], [Campaign], [Modding], [Modelling]
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Mods section (official and made by community mods)
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Maps/Campaigns section (official and made by community maps/campaigns)
-- Links to dedicated for modelling, modding and map/campaign making tutorials (would be awesome if community would make their own powerful and full of episodes tutorial channels)

4. Community Creation (things not discussed, but already made by community or discussions which aim is to make something, initiations, market research.)
Prefixes for this forum: [Project], [Screenshot], [Fan Art], [Video], [Livestream], [Music], [Writting], [Article].
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Media section (link to Dwelvers album with official and community works)
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Recent Articles section (made by external media sources and by community)

5. Bugs/Issues & Crashes (reports of encountered problems in game)
Prefixes for this forum: [Solved & Confirmed], [Solved, but need confirmation], [Solved with the next version], [More reports needed!], [Not solved yet]
-- list of Bugs/Issues & Crashes/Issues & Crashes
-- Crash reporting instruction

6. Support (problems with website, forum, social medias, PayPal, ordering the game.)
Prefixes for this forum: [Game], [Website], [Forum], [Twitter], [Facebook], [Reddit], [IndieDB], [Ordering]
-- Game information (how to get access to some things in game ot what to do if you experienced a black screen etc.)
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website technical information about Website
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website technical information about Forum
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website technical information about Social Media
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website technical information about Ordering the Game.

Any thoughts, ideas, modifications are welcome. Especially if you have better names for something. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(10-03-2014, 04:25 PM)Sebt Wrote: 1. Suggestions & Feedback forum will be merged with General Discussion - there are many threads in General Discussion that should be in Suggestions & Feedback forum (Seriously Unserious even made a list of these suggestions in Suggestions & Feedback forum).
- because there is a lot of off-topic posts on the forum (oh well...) there is a need to put in the first post of a suggestion/discussion thread - links to every on-topic posts which are feedbacks or own suggestions. Every discussions will be added to the actual BIG List of Ideas which will be mmerged with Game Features list (more about this list later). Off-topic posts won't be deleted or moved to somewhere, just to be clear.

This makes sense, but I think I would keep it as the Suggestion thread since essentially anything in General Discussion is typically a suggestion or a bug. Other than that, good work as usual. You really have a nack for organization Sebt.
(10-03-2014, 04:25 PM)Sebt Wrote: 1. Suggestions & Feedback forum will be merged with General Discussion - there are many threads in General Discussion that should be in Suggestions & Feedback forum (Seriously Unserious even made a list of these suggestions in Suggestions & Feedback forum).

This sounds reasonable.

(10-03-2014, 04:25 PM)Sebt Wrote: - instead of making next creatures, single traps idea we could make threads where we discuss some solutions, kinds of mechanisms that we could make for different things is game (and it seems will be better idea, look how many game mechanic ideas we have and compare it's number to other categories), so for example instead of making single trap thread there could be a thread how traps could look like, work in Dwelvers, discuss about their purposes, special abilities and with these ideas propose a single trap eventually. We could also discuss about creatures basing on it's environment, where it is living in and on usability. Some threads from Suggestions & Feedback forum will be merged into the one if says about the same category of things so.

A really good idea, I think we can get a lot further with this, sometimes I can't provide much feedback on the suggestions as the development of the game is nowhere near it. Discussing what is going on right now is the best solution I think, one step at a time.

(10-03-2014, 04:25 PM)Sebt Wrote: 2. Every forum will have it's own Prefixes (list option to the left of thread name), like now it's applied to the Bugs/Issues & Crashes forum. Each prefix has it's own colour.
What prefixes will be applied to what forum will be said in "Improved forum structure" in this thread.

Very good as well Smile

(10-03-2014, 04:25 PM)Sebt Wrote: 3. Modding, Modelling & Map Making (Dwelvers assumes to be verrrry mod friendly and even now we're showing how the process of for example Item modding look like, so it's a good time to make a separated forum for modding only.)
Prefixes for this forum: [Map], [Campaign], [Mod], [Model]
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Mods section (official and made by community mods)
-- Placeholder link to Dwelvers website Maps/Campaigns section (official and made by community maps/campaigns)
-- Links to dedicated for modelling, modding and map/campaign making tutorials (would be awesome if community would make their own powerful and full of episodes tutorial channels)

This is something I think will be really large in time. Especially when it comes to answering questions and making tutorials.

I didn't quote it all, but I have no objections to the structure you have presented, it all sounds real good Smile As mello said, "You really have a nack for organization Sebt" Wink
Thanks Rasmus and Mello. Smile

(10-03-2014, 10:50 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:

This makes sense, but I think I would keep it as the Suggestion thread since essentially anything in General Discussion is typically a suggestion or a bug. Other than that, good work as usual. You really have a nack for organization Sebt.

Yea, I thought about two ways of solving problem of discussing one thing once in General Discussion and once in Suggestions & Feedback forum and one was to leave Suggestions & Feedback forum and move there anything related to giving ideas for something, especially that in General Discussion there are discussions made by Rasmus or me, but... it wouldn't be an effective way to solve that problem.

Why? Because many suggestions have been left for itself, wasn't noted, listed, etc. They evaporated through the time... IMO that is to big waste of someone's effort, especially that even if someone's ideas could be implemented it won't be implemented now, but after some days, weeks or later. It's harder to find this idea later when at last it comes to implement suggestion made by community.

What's more, it happens to every suggestions now in Suggestions & Feedback forum - people make suggestions for something we could implement only within months. Many suggestions is not described to the full, but usually people think about creature's abillity or special behsvious, but for the rest they don't think and so have problem with creating a full idea of creature.

Why I want everything in General Discussion is that I want to have every aspect of the game focused on actual progress of the game - look how many Game Mechanics were suggested and see how much of them were implemented and how much these what could be implemented in the future. What was good before, after many game transformations could deal blew bad than good etc. So if community want to suggest something let it be for something we could implement in real. We should discuss by giving own ideas rather than giving ideas, but rarely discuss about that.

The gold rule of making anything for people is to make it to fulfil their needs, to make it because there is need to have it. If your idea is desired you have a very big chance that your idea will be implemented. Of course this system requires from developer showing game needs, that's why we are showing to you many various aspects, for example thread about Equiping creatures with armors where Rasmus wrote about solution for fitting the same armor models on different creatures.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
While merging the two will make digging through those suggestions a bit easier, and maybe along with the Big List of Ideas we could have a Small List of Ideas (and maybe changing the title is in order) that contain things that the community is introducing. We had talked about having a more guided suggestion platform where new features being introduced to the game would be posted by you guys, then we would discuss it as a community. That's a good way to go about things to be able to stay on task with development, and thinking about it we will prolly still need to have suggestion topics started by the community too.

So maybe in the General Discussion we have 2 pinned topics, 'Planning for Development' & 'On the Drawing Board' to keep all these things organized. 'Planned for Development' would contain things like topics about features Rasmus is working on implementing, as well as community ideas that have either been seriously considered or will be put into development, and 'On the Drawing Board' will be community suggestions that either aren't likely to be implemented or those which aren't fully developed as far as the details go and still require discussion and refinement before they could go in the 'Planned for Development' list.
(11-03-2014, 04:13 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: While merging the two will make digging through those suggestions a bit easier, and maybe along with the Big List of Ideas we could have a Small List of Ideas (and maybe changing the title is in order) that contain things that the community is introducing. We had talked about having a more guided suggestion platform where new features being introduced to the game would be posted by you guys, then we would discuss it as a community. That's a good way to go about things to be able to stay on task with development, and thinking about it we will prolly still need to have suggestion topics started by the community too.

So maybe in the General Discussion we have 2 pinned topics, 'Planning for Development' & 'On the Drawing Board' to keep all these things organized.

Yes, that's why I presented this:
Sebt Wrote:2. General Discussion
-- Game Features - links to every aspect of the game or to someone's suggestion POST (not only thread). This list contains suggestions divided into these categories:
  • Actual - (actual, already implemented to the game features, most of the links goes to website, these are things that will back in the game in 100% or that were discussed with community before and be implemented to the game).
  • Planned (revealed or haven't discussed yet, so may need to be discussed - like Rogue creature - we have already revealed it's appearance, but nothing more).
  • Suggested by Developers (things that are already discussed, but wasn't planned, could be just a temporary solution or solution for some problems encountered in current state of development - like topic about Imp Priorities - that don't need to be marked as Planned Feature, because it's obvious that Imps will need to have made priorities for them).
  • Suggested by Community (gathered from all over the places where we've been).

I discussed with Rasmus the way of making updates and showing new things we want to share with community and each of the new things will be inserted into next update articles, then in the same time we will make a special discussion thread for each if the feature we presented in actual news, so community and developers could discuss each of the just revealed thing in details. If something is already implemented to the game, but wasn't discussed you will be able to read about this on Dwelvers wiki which link to this will be put in Game Features thread (name of this list may be changed, but I haven't found better name for it).

I would like to stay with actual format of listing suggestions like it is now, but each of the suggestion/feature will have attached to it something like prefix. For example:

Suggested by community:
Creature_Name - Creature_Highlight. [Suggested by community]

If something will be implemented it will be moved to "Actual" or earlier if we want to ensure community that it will be implemented in the future it will be moved to "Planned" or like suggested "On the Drawing Board".

Also things that we want reveal to the community (like potions that we didn't even discussed, but mentioned on website) will be listed and also linked to Dwelvers wiki, of course there will be almost nothing or outdated info, but about this there will be mentioned.
Sounds good, I'm down with whatever makes your life easier.
Hopefully not mine only, it's important to think you're not done with something, but still improving it and by this yourself too.