Poll: Digging is...
This poll is closed.
...inevitable to get all those precious minerals as fast as we can and flaten the construction zones.
71.43%
5 71.43%
...and insult to mother nature, and should be kept to a minimum, ¡you barbaric plague!
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Brainstorm Construction Mechanic - Bulldozing the landscape or respecting mother nature?
(21-05-2014, 08:32 PM)Excess Wrote: Another possibility which is harder to implement would be having underground caves. What I mean by this is that an imp could be digging a floor tile and suddenly encounters an empty cave, falling to his death. This would probably require a complete rewrite of several aspects of the terrain generation.

This is an interesting idea, but it would be difficult to implement because of how the tiles work. The problem would be not so much the opening into a hole because you wouldn't have to worry about tiles above you falling in to fill the empty space, but the empty space around the column you just dug out. It is by design that tiles drop to occupy space that has been dug out which you can't really get away from. Now you could have a column that was populated with special tiles that do occupy a space, but are designed to open up to the base once you dig down to the top tile with this designation; essentially a hole that isn't a hole. I don't see this being worth the time to code to add to the game. A trap that opens into a Death Hole on the other hand; winner!

As far as the resources go, I'm sure this will be redesigned to be more in balance, and it wouldn't be absurd to believe we would need resources to rebuild walls. That's how it used to be, but the dirt resource was removed from the game as it was clogging up store rooms, and wasn't useful for anything besides Imp and Wall creation. Stone would be a perfect resource for Wall construction as there is a bunch of it, and it is a resource that will be used for many creations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bulldozing the landscape or respecting mother nature? - by Mello Tonin - 21-05-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: - by Seriously Unserious - 25-05-2014, 06:33 PM
RE: - by Seriously Unserious - 27-05-2014, 03:05 AM
RE: - by Sebt - 27-05-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: - by Mello Tonin - 27-05-2014, 04:11 PM