Solved & Confirmed 0.7b - Imps standing around idle
Hi,

Fresh download of 0.7b

New game

Many imps and those big thug looking guys standing around idle instead of working.

There is plenty for my worker creatures to be doing, stomping on floors to make them mine, building rooms etc.

However, the majority of my creatures are simply standing around idle and won't actually go do anything at all.

I don't know if this is related or not, but I do find a lot of the imps that are idle standing at the blue flags. Not multiple imps, but at almost every blue flag that I see, is an imp standing on that block and it's status reads that they are idle even though they can get to the floor that needs stomping and I do have enough wood and stone to build the few things that need building.
This is part of the new imp behaviour. 0.7 introduced a new system of "jobs" where some rooms require workers (cookery, storage, the dark mother) and some don't (bed, training). When workers are needed, a blue flag appear. This blue flag is where "jobless" imps will drop the materials that are needed in said room, and the imp employed by that room will pick them up from there and decide what to do with them. You can change how many imp each room should employ by rightclicking the room and selecting the blue ! icon.

For example, upon starting a new level, 2 imps will work for the dark mothers room. I'm not sure doing what besides maybe feeding items to her now and then, so the first thing I do when starting fresh is fireing one of them.

All other imps that are jobless will dig, build stuff, carry resources from the excavtion sites to the mothers blue flag and pave the newly discovered areas.
Bumped, added to but list and marked as not solved yet. Apologize for so late response..
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I would mark this as solved but need confirmation, these post was pre-0.7c reports, and a lot of things have been changed with the new update. I somehow missed this bug report, but I know that I have solved some issues that could cause this behaviour.
Could anyone.reproduce this bug in 0.7c?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Ok, this is really weird, but I have a whole bunch of imps standing around doing nothing, a couple of them with resources in their hands, sometimes they put the items down only to pick another one later.

I have plenty of storage rooms that accept that kind of items, they aren't stranded, I... don't know what can be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure if this save was created on 0.7c and that's why it acts weird, but I can't dig the claimed impanzee room's floor either.
(17-06-2014, 04:06 AM)Excess Wrote: Ok, this is really weird, but I have a whole bunch of imps standing around doing nothing, a couple of them with resources in their hands, sometimes they put the items down only to pick another one later.

I have plenty of storage rooms that accept that kind of items, they aren't stranded, I... don't know what can be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure if this save was created on 0.7c and that's why it acts weird, but I can't dig the claimed impanzee room's floor either.

You have to sell a room floor before you can dig it.
(17-06-2014, 05:25 AM)DrBoom Wrote: You have to sell a room floor before you can dig it.

D'oh, I completely forgot about that. I've been bug-hunting for too long, and I see every little issue as a bug immediately.

I definitely have to stop playing for a day or two.

+1 for opening my eyes Confused
Maybe I should add some warning text or something on why actions can't be made in the game. Like not being able to dig without the shovel or not being able to sell a building and so on. Actually I saw a video of Dwelvers a while ago where the same issue was presented, he tried to dig out the Impanzee room before he realized that he had to sell it first.
So, could we say this bug is solved guys? Smile
it may be
they are still idle at times but i think that the problem in most those cases lies somewhere storage related
poor storage management for example
or byproducts of other problems like the imp to prison delivery
or goods being delivered to rooms that are not linked to a storage room
or in rare cases when they are far awy from the next room maybe a problem with calculating the route ( i saw an imp doing nothing in the claimed maze whitch was connected to the rest of my dungeon in two ways )

bottom line: im not sure
I feel like this report is a little to general, could we mark it as solved? I have made even more adjustments to the game to prevent the imps from standing around idle with the next version. If the issue is still there in the 0.7e version we could make a new topic about it as we will be able to be more specific on why they are idle in upcoming versions.
OK, I'll mark this thread as Solved & Confirmed because since b-version changes in imps behavior system were made, so reports could look different now, if you have similar problems feel free to create new thread. Smile